Menu

Bug when opening from "Recent Files" list

whitecat
2008-12-20
2012-11-13
  • whitecat

whitecat - 2008-12-20

Hello!

My "Recent Files" list currently contains 30 entries, but when I want to open a file from this list, it sometimes fails - nothing happens although the file is definitely there. In this cases, I 'm always able to it via the usual File - Open menu. It even gets opened when I use "Open All Recent Files" (which seems to work perfectly).

This behaviour doesn't occur with a special file but randomly - at the moment I'm writing this, the first 6 files in my "Recent Files" list are affected while the other 24 files can be opened from this list.

This occurs with the most recent version 5.1.2, but I have observed this bug with earlier version (down to 4.8.x too). Windows XP SP2, German.

Cany anyone else reproduce this? Is there a solution?

Thanks.

• Mark Baines

Mark Baines - 2008-12-20

For me it is the last file I used at the top of the list. Click on it and nothing happens.
      I have it configured for 25 files.
      It has been like this for some time.
      I mentioned it way back but it was ignored so I got used to it.

Mark

• Don HO

Don HO - 2008-12-20

Tested with my v5.1.2, works perfectly (even with the Chinese Unicode file path).

Don

• Harry

Harry - 2008-12-20

Does the filename contain any special characters such as ö or ä etc? That could be the problem

• whitecat

whitecat - 2008-12-21

No special chars in the file and directory names, even no spaces, just [0-9a-z_]. Sometimes it works for a certain file, sometimes not. Just checked it again: The first 6 files show this problem (= I cannot open them from the recent files list), no. 7-29 work (maximum is set to 30).

Because I get the same behaviour at work (also Windows XP German, SP2), I don't think it's some weird behaviour of my personal PC. It's no problem to reproduce it here and Mark seems to have a similar problem - can I help fix it?

• Harry

Harry - 2008-12-22

COuld you try to open config.xml (in APPDATA/Notepad++ or program files/Notepad++) find the recent file list section and look at the filenames, maybe there is something wrong with those.
      You can try to copy paste them into the address bar of explorer, see if they still open

• whitecat

whitecat - 2008-12-22

Just done: Copied and pasted from config.xml, put it into the address bar of Windows Explorer and the file opened immediately in Notepad++ (because its extension is associated with notepad++.exe).

I also tried the following:

* Opened config.xml with a hex editor: Nothing suspicious, at least in the line containing the filename.

* Opened config.xml with Windows Notepad, saved it again and compared it with the original file: No difference.

* Tried opening files with different file name lengths - the shortest filename is "c:\iso.txt" which doesn't work either.

* Put the line

<File filename="C:\iso.txt" />

at position 25 (31-6) in the  <History nbMaxFile="30"> structure in config.xml - no difference.

* Put the line

<File filename="C:\iso.txt" />

at position 24 (31-7) in the  <History nbMaxFile="30"> structure in config.xml - it works!

So it seems always to be the first 6 files which show this problem.

* Changed <History nbMaxFile="30">  to <History nbMaxFile="28"> and deleted the last two <File filename=...> lines. Now files #1-4 do not open while #5ff do.

As the filenames show up in config.xml in reverse order: Could it be that only the first 25 files work regardless of the setting in "Settings - Preferences - MISC - Max number history file"? I have configured this value to its maximum of 30, perhaps this value doesn't get read correctly somewhere?

* For the not working files, Sysinternals' filemon doesn't show even a try to open a file (with whatever name).

Maybe these are some hints for bugfixing?

• Mark Baines

Mark Baines - 2008-12-22

I think it has something to do with the number of files saved in the list. I used to have 30 files (last year - it's an old problem for me) and had the last five not load, so I set it to 25.
      If I make mine 24 all is OK. If I make it 25, the last one (top of the list) can't be loaded.

The filename, characters used etc. etc have nothing to do with it.

Mark

• whitecat

whitecat - 2008-12-23

Yepp, the same behaviour here, on both PCs. Seems indeed to be a bug, which should be easy to fix. Does the programmer monitor this forum or is it better if I point him to this thread by mail?