Menu

Spell checker

2008-11-15
2012-11-13
  • Brandon Blackmoor

I have installed Notepad++ (version 5.1.1) on Windows. I can't see to find or figure out how to get the spell check to work. I can't even find it on the menu. Help?

• Josh Driver

Josh Driver - 2008-11-17

well from what I remember I deleted every file, then copied them
      I know notepad++ complains that the UNICODE extensions won't work on ANSI

one quick solution is to download http://portableapps.com/apps/development/notepadpp_portable (notepad++ portable)
      they chose to use the ANSI version for it at the moment, due to the amount of plugins that don't work; also it stores all settings inside itself so you can take it around on a USB without leaving any trace

• Josh Driver

Josh Driver - 2008-11-16

you'll need to find the spellchecker UNICODE version, which I do not know if it exists

you can download notepad++ in zip form from the website and copy the files in the ANSI version to your notepad++ directory, replacing them (I would make a backup first)

and after that you will need to download and install aspell to make it work

keeperofdakeys

• Brandon Blackmoor

I have tried manually installing the spell checker plug in, but it does not work. When Notepad++ starts, it says it is not compatible.

Does not Notepad++ not have a spell checker? It says all over the web site that it does. Is it because it recently changed from ANSI to UNICODE?

• Josh Driver

Josh Driver - 2008-11-16

I should have been more clear

either try to find the UNICODE version of spellchecker OR download notepad++ in zip form from the website and copy the files in the ANSI version to your notepad++ directory

• Brandon Blackmoor

As I said, I tried that. When Notepad++ starts, it says it is not compatible.