Menu

Can't save file with ext. .htm with Notepad++

2008-10-22
2012-11-13
  • David DeRolph

David DeRolph - 2008-10-22

I recently tried using the portableappps version of Notepad++ to do some html coding. I like the way Notepad++ works for this but I'm doing this for a course at a community college and I'm supposed to save an html file with file extension .htm, not .html. I find that even if I specifically type the extension, .htm, Notepad++ insists on saving the file with extension html.

Of course, I can change the filename extension via Windows Explorer before submitting the file to the course instructor, but I'd like to know whether I should be able to save the file directly from Notepad++, with a filename ending with extension .htm. 

• David DeRolph

I just discovered something. When saving an html file, via File, Save As command, and I have "All types (*.*)" selected in the Save as Type drop down box, I can then type the .htm as the file extension and the file will be saved that way.

But, if I select HTML (*.html;*.htm;*.shtml;*.shtm;*.xhtml), then Notepad++ forces an extension of .htm.  Hmm, seems like this would be frustating to users wanting to save with any of those extentions in the parenthesis that are not .html, i.e. *.htm;*.shtml;*.shtm;*.xhtml. What's the point of parenthetically listing all those filename extensions with the HTML Save as file type if they can't really be used with that Save as option?

• David DeRolph

Perhaps I should have mentioned I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.