Menu

Request: file dialog to follow current file

2008-09-18
2012-11-13
  • Rasmus Schultz

Rasmus Schultz - 2008-09-18

Whenever the "open" or "save as" dialog boxes come, the initial path in those is unpredictable.

For the open dialog, it would be logical if the initial path was set to the path of the current tab - usually, the file you want is either in the same folder, or a folder right above or beneath the one you were working on.

For the save as dialog, it would be logical if the initial path was set to the path of the previous tab (e.g. last used tab with a saved file) - or if there are no saved files open, default to the last used folder (as all dialogs do currently) ...

Simply opening to the same path every time, is not very useful - and opening to the last used path doesn't make much sense either, as often you'll have to sidetrack from one task to another, for example when opening your Apache configuration file instead of a PHP class file, it's pretty annoying to have to navigate through your entire harddrive again to figure out where you were working. On the other hand, I could easily activate the tab with a file NEAR the new file I want to open, and then click open...

I hope you'll consider this feature - it would really save a lot of time...

• Rasmus Schultz

Rasmus Schultz - 2008-09-19

That's what I thought - unfortunately, turning off that option also means that the 'save as' dialog starts up in Notepad++'s application home folder every time...

• Harry

Harry - 2008-09-18

You probably just have to uncheck 'Remember last operation directory' in the Preferences dialog (under MISC).
      It should follow the current file then.