Menu

Find places where funcitons are called

cledith
2008-05-27
2013-03-15
  • cledith

cledith - 2008-05-27

Hello,
    is there a convinient way to search for function calls when e.g. highlighting the function definition? I searching something like the CDT indexer for PyDev.

Thanks!
    Cledith

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2008-05-27

Pydev extensions ( http://fabioz.com/pydev ) has go to definition (F3) and a symbols browser for all the projects (ctrl+shift+T)

Cheers,

Fabio

• Fabio Zadrozny

Oops, sorry what you wanted is also there, but it's not what I mentioned before... you can have Ctrl+G to find the references to a function/class.

Cheers,

Fabio

• cledith

cledith - 2008-05-27

Thanks for your quick reply. When hitting Strg+G nothing happens at all, whether I highlight any function/ class or its definition or whatever.

If I hit Strg an move my mouse over a function (callee), the function becomes underlined and if the definition of the function/ class is not "too far" from the place I am, the editor goes to the definition of the very same function. Although this only seems to work partly, it's not what I looking for. To clear things up, I am at a definition of e.g. a function or class and would like to get places displayed, where this function is called. I am not sure, whether you pointed me to that direction or not.

• Fabio Zadrozny

Sorry, try ctrl+shift+G

• cledith

cledith - 2008-05-27

I am not sure, but is it, what you mean Strg+Alt+G? It searches in the workspace for the highlighted string. I was hoping that Eclipse can pair definitions of functions and their function calls, so that the editor directs you directly to the function call and not just a string, which looks alike.

• Fabio Zadrozny

In pydev extensions, ctrl+shift+g should search for the actual references... it does a basic text search 1st to gather possible references and then uses type inference to see if those map to the function you want (ideally it would have a faster cache so that it doesn't need the 1st step, but it usually only a bit slow the 1st time you use it).

Cheers,

Fabio

• cledith

cledith - 2008-05-27

Thanks. I'll try it.