Menu

Annoying bug in highlighting - parentesis

2008-05-15
2012-11-13
  • invincibile

invincibile - 2008-05-15

There's a very annoying bug in notepad++.
    When the brakets are open or closed, they became red (this is nice). But if parenthesis are in comments (at least comments of XML) they also slyghtly move on the left (or rigth, now i don't remember). This is annoyng really, when i want to write something, and i don't understand if i am in parenthesis or out of them. i delete a letter, and the parenthesi is deleted. Please, fix it, if it's possible.

• McLoo

McLoo - 2008-05-16

agree.
      this is since... i can remember.

but you can switch the comment font and size from Comic Sans and 8 to *nothing* in the stile configurator.
      Your brackets won't move then and formating the (XML)document becomes more handy.

regards
      McLoo

• invincibile

invincibile - 2008-05-16

Yes, this problem is more evident with some fonts, but other don't have it, or it's just a little. Pity, i liked that Comic MS, was very nice; so i hope they really will fix it, if it's possible.
      Grazie, dankon, grazzi, merci, thanks, dziekuje, kiitos, xie xie (etcetera)

• invincibile

invincibile - 2008-05-19

I found the problem I think. So i invite again to fix it.
      The parentesis in the comments don't became bigger when you click near them and became red, but, they simply became at the default size (the same than the *normal* text when you install the program). So, if i change the comment size (for example i set my comment with size 24), the parentesis will became more little, because the size of the comment is now more little than the default one.
      To fix the bug, the code section that makes red the parentesis couple, also should keep the size of the parentesis taking care of the *size of comment*.

Sorry for my bad english, but i did my best to be clear.

• invincibile

invincibile - 2008-05-19

So it was not the font

• Jiggszzz

Jiggszzz - 2008-05-20

Hi, I have the same problem. Here is my description with screenshots of each step of the problem.

When using Verilog, the comment fonts are Comic Sans MS with font size 8, which look great. But when the cursor is exactly 1 space to the right of a square bracket (and so the bracket is highlighted), the cursor still looks to the *left* of the square bracket.

Pic 1: cursor directly to left of square bracket

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6237/01zo4.jpg

Pic 2: cursor directly to rigth of square bracket

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9489/02vx7.jpg

Pic 3: cursor directly to right of square bracket, typed "delete" key once

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/903/03hq6.jpg

Pic 4: cursor directly to right of square bracket, typed "delete" key followed by "a" key

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1548/04od4.jpg

Thanks again.

• Airdrik

Airdrik - 2008-05-20

This bug is related to the Brace highlight style and Bad brace color in the Style Configurator -- Global Styles.

If you set font size to blank (and uncheck bold), it should make it fit better.

You may want to do some fiddling with that to find out what you think works best. 

• Jiggszzz

Jiggszzz - 2008-05-21

Gotcha -- for Comic Sans MS, unchecking bold and changing the font size to blank in the config for Brace highlight style did not fix the problem..

Will keep trying.

Thanks.

• Jiggszzz

Jiggszzz - 2008-05-21

I just found a simple fix, which is probably what you (Airdrik) intended to mean.

If you change the font for Brace highlight style to the same as the font for your comment (and NOT blank), then it will not have this bug.

I think this bug is quite difficult to fix, since it basically is a problem with mismatch of fonts (their intrinsic spacings in their definition for each character) if you choose your comment font and brace highlight font to be different.