Menu

Notepad++ v4.9 Workers' Day's Edition

Don HO
2008-05-01
2012-11-13
  • Don HO

Don HO - 2008-05-01

It's International Workers' Day today, but I work still for you :)

Here you can download Notepad++ v4.9 Official Release :
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=95717&package_id=102072&release_id=595183

This version fixes a few of bugs in the 4.9 pre-release and adds few features.

Notepad++ v4.9 fixed bugs and added features (from v4.8.5) :

1.  Add smart highlighting feature (double click a word to highlight all the same word in the document).
    2.  Enhance visual effect of Mark all feature.
    3.  Enhance Incremental search dialog docking.
    4.  Enhance Incremental search : add Highlight all feature.
    5.  Add auto-hide menu feature (IE7 style menu - Alt or F10 to toggle)
    6.  Enhance tool bar GUI usability (display a chevron while some tool icons hidden).
    7.  Add style transparency feature, right click on color to enable.
    8.  Fix the files not opening by DnD bug.
    9.  Enhance Find Replace dialog : Add "Extended" option - search (and replace) for tabs(\t), newline(\n\r), and a characters by it's value (\o, \x, \b, \d, \t, \n, \r and \\).
    10. Bug fixed : Find dialog always scrolls text into view now.
    11. Add places bar in save as dialog
    12. Fix non-recognized relative path bug in command line mode (under Dos prompt).
    13. Add 2 messages for doc monitor plugin.
    14. Fix the transparency bug (in Styler Configurator).
    15. Make search in hidden directory (for Find in files) optional.
    16. Fix the replace bug while replacing nothing.
    17. Fix the F3 searching direction bug.

Included plugins :

1. TexFX v0.24a
    2. NppExec v0.2 RC3.2
    3. Spell Checker v1.3.1
    4. MIME Tools v1.4
    5. FTP_synchronize v0.9.6
    6. NppExport v0.2.7.3
    7. Compare plugin v1.5.1
    8. Light Explorer v1.4
    9. Doc Monitor v2.1

Let me know if you have any problem by using this release.

Don

• kRs

kRs - 2008-05-04

Something must have changed in the latest version.
      Try to copy some text from Windows wordpad (richedit) and paste it into notepad++
      Some garbage will be added at the end of pasted text
      Old versions didn't seem to exhibit this behaviour

• D. A. Rickard

D. A. Rickard - 2008-08-13

Yes, I've got the same problem with v5.0.3. I'm running Vista Business. When I paste text into Notepad++ there's a bunch of trailing NUL characters with other ASCII chars in between. Thought I was going crazy.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yeah, I've noticed the same stuff, lots of [NULL]s are pasted. That's clearly a regression.

• Laurent

Laurent - 2008-06-20

I have this problem with version 4.9.2 when i copy/paste from Frontpage 2003 or Microsoft Expression Web on Win XP SP2

• Vorenus

Vorenus - 2008-05-01

This a nice release, I especially love the 'mark all' feature.

I found a tiny freeze-bug, though.

If you have two files open, one a large file with many lines (like a Windows header file) and another tiny file (just a simple text file with a few lines), then switch from the small file tab to the large file tab, the whole program freezes for a few seconds.

It does this every time you switch back to the large file. It eventually unfreezes each time, but I was wondering what makes it freeze like this? This bug didn't exist in the 4.8 release (as far as I can remember).

• Nobody/Anonymous

Perhaps horizontal scroll bar length recalculation?

• Vorenus

Vorenus - 2008-05-02

I'm not sure, but I just noticed that it freezes for a few seconds when your close the Notepad++ window with a large file in the active tab. There are no changes to the file, I just opened it for viewing.

It's odd behavior for sure.

• Nobody/Anonymous

See if disabling the smart highlighting alleviates the problem. It may be Notepad++ searching for every instance of the selected word.

• Vorenus

Vorenus - 2008-05-02

Nope, with smart highlighting disabled, both cases of the freeze-bug still exist.

• deus-ex

deus-ex - 2008-05-02

Awesome release, Don. (hands Don a cup/glas of his favorite drink) :)

The freezing bug when opening files containing clickable links was also fixed. However I have a small complaint regarding the clickable link detection. Notepad++ currently doesn't support any FTP links, and URLs without the leading "http://" aren't recogniced (e.g. www.notepad++.com). Often many links aren't detected until edited, then after undoing the editing of such links the (correct) link detection prevails.

Also I witnessed that Notepad++ starts acting wierd when editing a clickable link. For example when pressing the ENTER key somewhere inside a link to move its remainder to the next line, the current font for several detected links in a document gets changed and remains like this until Notepad++ is restarted. Also sometimes during link editing the underlinings are permanently extended to the left beyond the valid URLs. Aforementioned issues seem to be connected to the fact that Notepad++ doesn't scan through an entire document for clickable links but only in the user visual range (i.e. what you currently see on the monitor).

Hopefully you are able to reproduce the described problems and to improve the situation. I'm glad if I can assist you in any way with that, however I'm afraid I'm not a programmer.

Thank you and wishing you all the best.

• deus-ex

deus-ex - 2008-05-02

Heh, the forum software autocompleted the example URL i have given in my previous post adding a leading "http://", rendering that part of my post quite senseless now.

So here goes again: URLs without a leading "http://" currently aren't recogniced, e.g. "www dot notepad dot com". (hopefully that works out after clicking the post button) ;)

• Don HO

Don HO - 2008-05-02

I confirm that.
        Due to the performance issue, Notepad++ parses once by using RE "http://[a-z0-9_\\-\\+.:?&@=/%#]*" to support only "http://" as clickable link.
        If you have better RE (conform to Scintilla's one) which can support "ftp://", "https://" etc, please let me know.

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

Something about the mark all function:
      When you checked the "Mark line", "Style found token" & "Purge for each search" options, and use the Ctrl+M to mark words, everything is fine, but using Ctrl+Shift+M (Unmark All), the bookmark icons are not cleared. But it works fine in 4.8.2. Any reasons on changing this behavior, or it just a bug?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I really appreciate your work and actually Notepad++ has become my favorite editor for LaTeX.
      Unfortunately, I am still missing a tiny but important feature:
      There is no "CURRENT_LINE" environment variable so that it is not possible to use the dvi-previewer's (e.g., yap) forward search function.
      However, this feature is most valuable to LaTeX users.
      See thread "Line number: Notepad++ and LaTeX" in the "Open Discussion" forum for more details.
      It would be really nice to have that feature.
      Best regards and thanks in advance, JTM.

• Nobody/Anonymous

> See thread "Line number: Notepad++ and LaTeX" in the "Open Discussion" forum for more
        > details.

I don't think so. Could you provide a link to the thread (or message) instead of describing which one it was?

• Don HO

Don HO - 2008-05-02

"CURRENT_LINE" and "CURRENT_COLUMN" environment variables will be added in the next release.
        They are implemented, please let me know where I should send the binary to test.

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

Good news for LaTeX users that CURRENT_LINE will be available soon.
          I would like to help you testing the implementation.
          Please send it to 8j0t5m0@arcor.de.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,

It's fine release, Thanks!! I use npp every day, this is the better editor :), I like that
      I think, visual effect of Mark it too light (on my monitor), I changed this color to black, but it's again too transparency.

The old behavior of Mark was very nice, because the marked words are always emphasized, and I could mark more words (expressions). I would like old mark also, by any chance more colors. I think it was very useful.

Ak

• deus-ex

deus-ex - 2008-05-02

<Quote (Don) - 2008-05-02 02:49>
      If you have better RE (conform to Scintilla's one) which can support "ftp://", "https://" etc, please let me know.
      </Quote>

How about adding optional support for additional link detection then?
      E.g.:

Clickable link setting:

( ) Enable
      ( ) Don't underline links
      ( ) Scan entire document for links

Use additional detection strings:
      (Warning: This can noticeably decrease performance of Notepad++)

( ) https://
      ( ) ftp://
      ( ) Scan for partial URLs (www(dot)example(dot)com)

Oh, and please could you add the '~' (Tilde) character to the RE string too?
      Example: "http://[a-z0-9_\\-\\+.:?&@=/%#~]*"

Thank you for consideration, Don.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Great release,

Couple of ideas for future releases:

- Ability to turn off the title bar when not in Full Screen - so more screen estate is available
      - An indicator that the file has been changed when the tab bar is hidden
      - Option for php files to also select the $ for the variables. Right now double clicking on the variable name selects the name without the $ prefix.
      - In inline search - when it comes up would be great if the text is selected. Also, if it responded to F3, right now responds only to Enter for Next match.
      - Ability to disable/hide the Folder margin.
      - An example of a plugin included with the distribution and compilation instructions to increase plugin development for NPP

• Nobody/Anonymous

I've found a bug in a latest release.

If you open some text file, select some text FROM RIGHT TO LEFT (so that charet stays to the left of the selection) and cut it, then charet gets moved back by an number of characters you have just cut.

It's very annoying, could someone reproduce and confirm the bug?

• jive

jive - 2008-05-05

yea! Places Bar added! Been waiting for this. Thanks Don,

BTW, notepad++ has been voted #1 for top five editors! http://lifehacker.com/385929/best-text-editors

Keep up the great work!