Menu

Alt+S produces error message?

2008-03-29
2012-11-13
  • Andy Fielding

Andy Fielding - 2008-03-29

I'm using Notepad++ v4.8.2. When I press Alt+S to access the Search menu, this odd error message appears:

> File Not Fount [sic]
    > Can't locate SVN information

Does anyone know what's causing that, and if I can do anything about it? Thanks.

• Ty Landercasper

Ty Landercasper - 2008-04-23

v4.8.5 now includes a version of the compare plugin that does not have the alt-s or alt-l shortcuts

• paraglider

paraglider - 2008-03-30

Its Ctrl + F for search / Find. ALT+S is 'Compare Against SVN Base'.

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2008-03-30

You can change the shortcut for the commands, if you like.

Suggested reading:

"Compare plugin is a nuisance" (Plugin Development forum)
      http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1979736&forum_id=482781

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2008-03-30

Button__ : Main menu
        Line 34_ : Find... -> CTRL+F

Double-click this line and change or remove the shortcut to your liking.
        There are a number of Find shortcuts from line 34.

• Malcolm Nixon

Malcolm Nixon - 2008-04-01

I have to say that overriding ALT+S by default is dumb.

Firstly putting an '_' under a character in a menu is the offical means of signifying a hotkey sequence where ALT+<char> pops up the menu. The Search menu has an '_' under the 'S' of Search, so that should be the default action (unless the user purposefully mucks with the accelerator table).

Secondly ALT+S is the standard 'Search' menu accelerator sequence for almost every other editor (with the exception of ALT+F for 'Find').

This change in 4.8.2 has increased my teams WTF/s ratio enormously (What the fucks per second).

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2008-04-01

More quickies, then, ey?

• Harry

Harry - 2008-04-01

Cant you just change the Compare shortcut or just remove the entire plugin?
            The problem is that its hard to maintain all the accelerators the plugins use, so a conflict here or there can be expected :).

• Abhay Joshi

Abhay Joshi - 2008-04-17

Hi,

I am new to this issue. Can anybody explain the plugin name and problem?

(I think this topic is becoming HOT so I am interested to give resolution for it.)

Regards

Abhay

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2008-04-01

"Or press Alt and then press S, separately, instead Alt+S."

"Compare plugin is a nuisance" (Plugin Development forum)
            http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1979736&forum_id=482781

I guess that covers all workarounds.

• Andy Fielding

Andy Fielding - 2008-04-17

I don't think I was clear enough.

I know how to open the Find window (Ctrl+F). I was referring to "dropping" the Search menu, to access the commands on it.

Since "S" in Search is underlined when you press Alt, Alt+S should drop the menu. Instead, it produces the message I described.

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2008-04-17

"Or press Alt and then press S, separately, instead of Alt+S."

Just read the suggestions above and don't complain it is us who do not understand you.

• Bob Uncle

Bob Uncle - 2008-04-17

[QUOTE]"Or press Alt and then press S, separately, instead of Alt+S."

Just read the suggestions above and don't complain it is us who do not understand you. [/QUOTE]

In version 4.6 (which I still use) ALT+S does the correct thing by bringing up the Search menu. As he is asking and as hotkey. Yes, pressing Alt and then S does get the desired result, but it is now broken in 4.8.2 (and I assume 4.8.5 as well).

As Malcolm correctly said:

[QUOTE]I have to say that overriding ALT+S by default is dumb.

Firstly putting an '_' under a character in a menu is the offical means of signifying a hotkey sequence where ALT+<char> pops up the menu. The Search menu has an '_' under the 'S' of Search, so that should be the default action (unless the user purposefully mucks with the accelerator table).[/QUOTE]

fool4u how about recognizing that this is a either a new feature or a bug. Given that it breaks GUI rules and changes previous standard functionality, I call this a bug.

Bob

• Don HO

Don HO - 2008-04-17

Well it's rather a bug of release v4.8.5 than Notepad++ binary itself, because of the shorcut definition of compare plugin.

It'll be fixed in the next release (Ty, could you change this shorcut in your plugin?).

For this version (v4.8.5), please change compare shortcut manually via the shorcut mapper to fix this problem.

Don

• Fool4UAnyway

> The Search menu has an '_' under the 'S' of Search, so that should be the default
            > action (unless the user purposefully mucks with the accelerator table).

Apparently, someone else purposefully mucked with the accelerator table.
            You would know that from reading previous messages.

So I do not call this a bug.
            If you want to have it your way, you CAN.
            Why do you want a confession that someone did something wrong in your eyes?

• Bob Uncle

Bob Uncle - 2008-04-17

Sorry ... no confession needed. I just think it's rude to tell someone "Just read the suggestions above and don't complain" when they have a valid point.

• Fool4UAnyway

Problem:

> Since "S" in Search is underlined when you press Alt, Alt+S should drop the menu.
                > Instead, it produces the message I described.

Solution:

Was already given before by referring to other messages.

So I do not understand why anybody would keep trying to get someone to solve the bug or say that they are absolutely right. Is it so hard to press one more key to achieve what you want? If it is, then don't keep posting messages here.