NPP crashes on file open !!

S0C9
2008-03-29
2012-11-13
  • S0C9

S0C9 - 2008-03-29

I had same problem as user in this post after upgrading to 4.8.2
    http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1959426&forum_id=331754

A dbl-click on a supported file type would cause npp to die. I could open it stand-alone, then drag-drog file onto it and it would open fine, but crash as soon as I tried to edit anything.

So, I did as recommended and renamed plugins dir, created a new [empty] one and validated. npp started, and behaved fine with no plugins. I then added them back in one by one.
    All worked until I moved HexEditorPlugin.dll over... CR-A-ASH !!!
    I then noticed there were 2 Hex plugins in the directorty.
    HexEditorPlugin.dll
    HexEditor.dll

Eveything worked fine when I moved the second .dll over. The 1st one [HexEditorPlugin.dll] is defintely the culprit. I do not know which npp version it associated with, but its details are:

HexEditorPlugin.dll  10/4/2006 [Oct 4th, '06] 1:12:28 :PM  159,744 bytes

I pretty much have all plugins installed, and all works fine now. If anyone has info on this dll, I'd sure be interested.

Thought this might save someone some time....

Regards,
    Sock

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,
      I have the same problem on vista 64. renaming plugin catalogue or even remove it dont fix hang issue - does somebody know a solution to this?
      best ,
      piotr

• Don HO

Don HO - 2008-03-30

Than you for your very useful information.

HexEditorPlugin.dll, which cames with old Notepad++ release, is a old version of HexEditor.dll.
      Obviously it doesn't work at all with v4.8.2.

May I know how do you upgrade your Notepad++? Eith installer or zipped package?

Don

• S0C9

S0C9 - 2008-03-30

Don,

I've done both.. I have npp on multiple PC - has replaced default notepad as editor.
      I think on this particular one, I first did the v8.4.2 installer.
      When it crashed regularly, I pulled the v4.7.2 zip and applied.
      I then went back to v.4.8.2 using the zip, and then started reading the forums, found the plugins suggestions and the process of elimination.
      Sorry, much help...

Sock