Changing EXT in stylers.xml doesnt highlight

dudeforge
2008-04-01
2012-11-13
  • dudeforge

dudeforge - 2008-04-01

I modified my stylers.xml PHP line like this
    <LexerType name="php" desc="php" ext="inc">

with ext="inc" but it will not open INC files with PHP highlighting automatically :(

What am I doing wrong. I dont want to have to pick PHP every time from the menu.

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2008-04-01

Check if the .inc extension is already in use by another language and if so, remove it from its list. What language _does_ your .inc file open in?

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2008-04-01

Menu_______ : Settings
        Option_____ : Styler Configurator...
        Language___ : Pascal (select this in the left list)

This will show:

Default ext : pas inc
        User ext___ :

You can add user extensions in the empty box. However, you can't remove default extensions. This is a shortcoming, because apparently user extensions do not override the default extensions. You have to remove the .inc Pascal extension manually from the stylers.xml file in the Notepad++ installation directory or possibly the user's %APPDATA% directory.

This has been an issue before.

"from ultraedit to notepad++"
        http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1964744&forum_id=331754

A nice improvement would be to
        either
        - have only one list of language extensions, which can have default values, but with the option to also remove them,
        or
        - make user extensions override default extensions

• dudeforge

dudeforge - 2008-04-03

I deleted the
      <LexerType name="pascal" desc="Pascal" ext="">
      </LexerType>
      stuff from my stylers.xml file (it uses the one in the installed directory) and its not styling my INC file at all now. I still have to pick the PHP styling manually.

I'm on notepad++ 4.8.2 so perhaps something has changed? I dont know where to delete that inc stuff at because its still not working.

• Harry

Harry - 2008-04-03

You have to change langs.xml, not stylers.xml to get rid of the inc extension.
      If you remove pascal from stylers.xml you only remove the syntax color values, so it looks like the document isnt styled :).