Menu

Save and load sessions: some peculiarities

GVC
2008-03-21
2012-11-13
  • GVC

GVC - 2008-03-21

Hi,

When using the save/load session feature (something I only "discovered" recently, but which is very useful), there are some "strangies" going on:

- When loading a saved session, the documents of that session are added next to the currently opened documents.  Better would be, if you could choose to first close all currently open documents and then load the session.
    The choice would be useful for someone who really wants or don't want to open the files of a session next to already opened files.

- You can define an extension for sessions, using "Settings | Preferences | Misc".  However, this "default" extension is not taken into account if you want to save sessions.
    When you save a session and you select the "link" button, there's only "Session file (*.session)" or "All types (*.*)" available in the extension drop-down menu.
    I was supposed to see your own defined extension added to the list of extensions and also taken as default.

- When you type in the name of a session, the (default) '.session' extension is not added automatically.  You have to give the extension yourself and that's a pity.  People who want another extension, could define it themselves (see previous point).

- When loading a session, then you see the extension you've defined yourself in the list of extensions overview (in contradiction with saving a session... hmmm...). 
    However, this one is not the default one, which it *should* be, to my humble opinion.  It's ranked after the "All types (*.*)" filter.

As I said, these are "peculiarities", but it would be nice if they could be solved, though...

Best rgds,

--Geert

• GVC

GVC - 2008-03-21

Additionally to the above, I've "discovered" the following:

- When I update a session using the "Save Session..." and then press the "Link..." button to select an existing session, NPP asks me if I want to overwrite the session.  Confirming this, however, does apparently not update the session with the extra files added/deleted to/from the session.  I see that the new session status is not saved correctly, if I recall the session.
      Unless I explicitly fill in the fields "Name" and "Link" in the "Save current session:" field.
      However, since the session already exists, I would expect that the name would be automatically part of the saved session, but apparently it isn't.

- When I select the "Sessions" item in the "Select a group" in the "Favorites" dialogue box to update an existing session (I think this is a second way of updating an existing session), then NPP hangs when I click the "OK" button.
      The only way out is killing the total application.

Best rgds,

--Geert

• Nobody/Anonymous

• GVC

GVC - 2008-03-22

Ok, thanks for pointing me out this one.

But the "peculiarities" I mentioned in my threads are not exactly handled in that other thread.  There, I see other issues "on top of mine".

So, still valid... ;-)

Best rgds,

--Geert

• Nobody/Anonymous

You might have been thinking about an option in Notepad++ to always open a session in a separate instance, which will be saved again to the opened session file instead of the default session file. I guess this could overcome part of your problems, but perhaps you overlooked this.

• GVC

GVC - 2008-03-24

I know about this feature, but I don't want to open several sessions of NPP just for the sake of having the sessions to work correct only then.

What would be nice, is a kind of "project" alike (new?) item in the menu tab bar, that would allow one to quickly switch from one project (or call it session) to another and asks you if you want to update the current project/session before you switch over to the new session, in case modifs are done to the current project/session.

This can be modest, this can be extremely extensive, depending on what is wanted.

Many IDE's have this functionality, good'ol CodeWright was superb in this (but don't worry, I find NPP an extremely good alternative for CodeWright...).

Best rgds,

--Geert

• Nobody/Anonymous

I believe there have been discussions before about Notepad++ not being (intended to be) a project handler. Since it is possible to do what you want, I guess this behavior won't be added. You will have to open and resave you session manually, close all documents and open another session. That's also not very hard to do.

By the way, I don't think it's so silly to open a new instance of Notepad++ handling a specific session file instead of the default one, its own. This would probably also allow double-clicking the desired session file and simply closing Notepad++ upon finishing your session work. The alternative to closing Notepad++, of course, is closing all documents.