Menu

alt f s no-longer works...

2008-03-04
2012-11-13
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Sure I could use Ctrl-s, but I've always done alt-f-s to save files... now i have to do alt-f-s-enter... it is as if the underlined menu thingies (technical description!) are gone... not sure if that is on purpose or not?

Thanks,

Jim

• Nobody/Anonymous

Perhaps there is another shortcut in the menu that uses the s key?

• Nobody/Anonymous

nope, there are no shortcuts in the file menu since 4.8...

• Nobody/Anonymous

I just installed N++ on an absolutely fresh install of XP pro and it is true - there are no <u>S</u>hortcut keys for the whole <u>F</u>ile menu...

Jim

• Nobody/Anonymous

I've also noticed that the only menu items that have shortcuts are edit, plugins and window.  Seems kinda strange.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I've seen this too - any body else?

Francisco

• Nobody/Anonymous

No, I've not seen this. My Notepad++ has no shortage of cuts.

• Boinst

Boinst - 2008-03-05

I get this problem too, I can't press Alt+f+s to save. Ctrl+s still works.

• Nobody/Anonymous

So, is this a bug or a feature?

Jim

• Nobody/Anonymous

In older versions it the shortcuts were there.  There is a chance that the developer left them out this time by mistake... I can't think of a reason to do it on purpose.  Any chance the shortcuts will be re-instated?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I am having this problem as well and it bugged me bad enough to come look through the forum to see if others were having it....and they are.  I spent time looking for some setting to "turn them back on", but couldn't find anything.

Would love to have them back....

Cort

• Nobody/Anonymous

Quick fix: get some translation files (there should be an english one somewhere, I have no idea where) and place an ampersand where you want the "trigger key" to be (like "&Save", or "Save &As")

• Nobody/Anonymous

anyone know where that file is?

Thanks,

Jim

• Nobody/Anonymous

I too am experiencing this problem with 4.8.1 .. quite frustrating ..

• Nobody/Anonymous

Does the selection jump to Save when you press Alt+F S?  Maybe the accelerator keys are still defined but not showing.  If so, does it jump to anything else if you press S a second time without pressing Enter?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yes, it does jump to save and if you hit s again it goes to the next item that starts with s... and so on.

Jim

• Nobody/Anonymous

Just press enter when you have arrived at the desired option.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yeah, that works file for "save", but you have to type E for Exit, where the key used to be X for eXit.

Cort

• Nobody/Anonymous

so - nobody seems to know if this is a bug or a new feature?  it really makes the program quite unusable.  But for the price, i really can't complain!

• Don HO

Don HO - 2008-03-08

> so - nobody seems to know if this is a bug or a new feature?

It's a bug. Anyway, a unwanted behaviour.

> it really makes the program quite unusable. But for the price, i really can't complain!

If it's a question of price for you, I encourage you to use another "free" editor (there're a dozen!).

Don

• Harry

Harry - 2008-03-08

Totally my bad, I put a patch in the tracker which should fix it :).
      (I thought the problem originated from somewhere else so I didnt pay attention to it)

-Harry

• Nobody/Anonymous

"If it's a question of price for you, I encourage you to use another "free" editor (there're a dozen!). "

Sorry, my original comment about price was tongue in cheek... None of the other freebies even come close to the capabilities of N++...

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hey Harry!  Thanks for the update!  It works again! I love this program too.

Jim