Menu

insert plugin, a web edition...

2008-03-05
2013-11-06
1 2 3 .. 5 > >> (Page 1 of 5)
  • Jon Henderson

Jon Henderson - 2008-03-05

Ok, I'm a pro at XHTML, PHP, MYSQL, JS, etc. I've dabbled in C#. I've downloaded the plugin template for the insert plugin in the hopes of being able to throw a function in there that will allow me to add tags, specifically html tags, on either side of the current selection (like wrapping the current selection in <p></p>). C++ is too far outside of my ability to muddle through.

I am begging, could some one either add this functionality to a plugin that already exists. Or create a plugin to accomplish this. I would be content if someone simply wrote the function in the insert plugin template and posted the code here. I would even be content if i had to hard code the html tag i wanted in the plugin itself limiting me to copying and pasting the function for each tag i want before i compile it. I've searched and seen plenty of requests for this functionality.

Please, anyone, i know that all you C++ programmers, using the insert plugin template could get this done fast...

Please.

Long term, a code template plugin that respects the current selection would be fantastic, but in the mean time...please.

• Visuex

Visuex - 2009-07-17

I was very stoked to find this plugin but unfortunately it does not work on v-5.4.3

• Nobody/Anonymous

Would you be willing to search the forums yourself for a solution that involves recording a macro?

• Jon Henderson

I did, and have tried (and am a little peeved that anyone would assume that a non-anonymous poster would forego searching for himself).

What i am asking for is a plugin that serves this purpose, i chose the insert plugin because it logically fits with what the insert plugin already does.

• Jon Henderson

ps. i'd be nice to not use the clipboard.

• Alexander Iljin

Alexander Iljin - 2008-03-05

I've got what you are asking for underway. (It does not use the clipboard.)

• Jon Henderson

AWESOME.
      I'll wait eagerly.

• Alexander Iljin

Damn it! I just lost the source file in a sudden hangup!
        I guess it's time to convert my encrypted drive to NTFS.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Don't you use FileHamster?

• Alexander Iljin

Never heard of it till now.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Let it eat all your work and it will be safe "inside" it...

• Alexander Iljin

Alexander Iljin - 2008-03-06

Took a look at it.
                No, I'm not gonna install the .NET monster just for that little beast.
                A great idea, though.
                PS: They should warn about the requirements, I wouldn't have downloaded it.

• Jon Henderson

Jon Henderson - 2008-03-06

Well alexiljin, Let me know if there is anything i can do to help you out, since i made the request.

Again, thanks, I look forward to the fruits of your labor.

• Alexander Iljin

OK, it's done. You'll have to hard-code all the tags, so you'll need a compiler.
        All the links and instructions are in the comments, see NppWebEdit.ob2.
        You will be surprised to know it's not C or C++, but I'm sure you'll have no problems understanding and editing.
        In case you have any questions or suggestions, mail me.

http://rapidshare.de/files/38757155/NppWebEdit.zip.html (less than 7 Kb)

PS: Any feedback is appreciated.

• Nobody/Anonymous

for some reason when i go to download the file, after i enter the captcha, the page refreshes but nothing happens...no download options are available.

• Alexander Iljin

I just tried with Opera 9.26, it popped a dialog after the captcha, asking where to save the file to.
        Anyway, I uploaded to another free service I know: http://disk.tom.ru/qtrv7mb
        If you have any other ideas, let me know.

• Jon Henderson

amazing, i have yet to add tags, but form the brief look i got of the source, i should be able to figure it out...

amazing. simply awesome

i'll send feedback your way when i have some

• Jon Henderson

absolutely perfect. easy comments/instructions, recompiled with a few more tags...going to try some code templates...exactly what i was expecting.

perfect...thanks so much.

is this a plugin that you want to keep developing or did you throw this together as an answer to my plea?

• Alexander Iljin

Great! I'm glad you like it and I'm glad you already managed to add new tags and compile it.

> is this a plugin that you want to keep developing
        > or did you throw this together as an answer to my plea?

I'm not interested in this particular functionality. I'm just studying Scintilla, preparing myself for creation of a big plugin to support Delphi-style autocompletion and call tips for my favourite programming language, Oberon. I recently put together a simple template of a plugin. It gets pretty easy when you're past that stage, so I decided to help.

• Jon Henderson

ok, i've been tooling around and this is absolutely brilliant.

brilliance, on top of brilliance.

beautiful, and this "oberon"...i'm digging it.

again, was this a "first step" or a final release?

• Alexander Iljin

Huh.. I don't meet many people who can see past the Pascal-ish notation and all-caps reserved words.
        If you can dig it, it may well change your views on what the art of simplicity in programming really is.

> was this a "first step" or a final release?

I don't have any further plans on developing this plugin.

• Alexander Iljin

I mean, if you have any specific suggestions, I might consider them.

• Jon Henderson

Jon Henderson - 2008-03-07

well if you don't have any further plans then so be it. this is exactly what i asked for. if you were to take it to the next level, you could use an .ini file to store the name/code, the plugin would simply parse the .ini for the name and pre and post text. thus giving massive extensibility.

.ini format:
      Paragraph Tag=<p>|</p>
      Table=<table>\n\t<tr>\n|\n\t</tr>\n</table>

the only trick might be the use of tokens. maybe use \n for newline and \t for tab, the | being for the current selected text. choose your poison i use these because i'm a web guy

the way the cursor stays on the ending side of the selection is perfect, the way the tags are not part of the selection is perfect.

if you added the ini support, you could create a full fledged code template plugin and still keep it really small (no new functions within the dll)

seriously, what you have done is perfect, my suggestion simply takes a simple tagger to a rock solid, small, and fast code template plugin.

• Alexander Iljin

Alexander Iljin - 2008-03-07

I thought about the ini-file option before the release. I did not want you to recompile all the time, because it's not very user-friendly. There is a problem, though. What you are suggesting requires a dynamic-length menu constructed on the fly from a file content. Ideally all the items in said menu should have a single handler procedure (otherwise you should have as many separate handlers as you have items, but handlers are procedures compiled into the DLL, you can't change their number on the fly). I'm still yet to find out if it is possible to construct and handle such a menu within Notepad++. This would probably involve creating menu items with custom cmdIDs and then handling menu-related messages somehow. If you do know a plugin that employs that kind functionality, please let me know.

• Jon Henderson

Jon Henderson - 2008-03-07

by means of clarification. if you were to go this route, i DO NOT think that you should build any sort of interface for the ini file. the ini file could easily be edited (using...say...notepad++) externally. there would be no reason to have an interface as part of the plugin.

1 2 3 .. 5 > >> (Page 1 of 5)