Menu

spell check on the fly

2008-02-14
2012-11-13
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Can I have spell check on the fly, without having to press hot key?

Thx

• Nobody/Anonymous

Which fly are we talking about?

• Aidin Abedi

Aidin Abedi - 2008-05-16

I would also like this feature. There are few if any lean-and-mean open-source word processors for windows. I use AbiWord and it is slow to start and often flickers or lags behind my input. I regularly just want text-files for notes and I need simple spell-checking. Because I already use notepad++ for code it would be great to also use it as a automatic spell-checker.

It already supports spell-checking, is it really that performance consuming or out of design to just add a on-the-fly option? Isn't it just another form a syntax & language?

• Nobody/Anonymous

it would be cool if suspicious words are highlighted/underlined (like in the various word processors) and of course a button to toggle this feature.

• Nobody/Anonymous

the fly that we are talking about is as-you-type

can I have the spell checker to highlight the word immediately after the typo, without any interference from my side?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I sometimes hate what you're talking about but I'll leave that option on for emailing where I'm often typing just a paragraph.  Otherwise is too easy to check spelling and everything else when I get close to done.  And given this is just as much a code editor (I infrequently use it for such) as anything else, this would be the very last thing I would want added as an option.  The balance should be between lean and mean and doing everything you want but don't need.  In Word, for example, Microsoft will do everything for you including walking you to the restroom and wiping your butt - without even asking.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Spell-Checker on the fly needs to much performance. And IMO to enable "on the fly" with click a button is the same effort to start spell checking as it is currently implemented.

Best Regards
      Jens

• Nobody/Anonymous

First, thanks for an absolutely fantastic program.

Second, regardless of the resources it's sort of a must-have feature. (If you don't want/need it then don't install the plug-in). I use N++ program for editing both text files and coded files (html, xml, custom/user defined). The current spell checker is great for text-only files, but using it to check files with loads of variables that aren't words is a huge waste of time (due to constant "ignore" clicking). I essentially have to copy/paste these files into AbiWord and spell check them there. I think most of us who want this feature just want to work efficiently.

• Jan Schreiber

Jan Schreiber - 2008-07-10

That needs syntax-aware spell checking. The best free editor I know that has it is PSPad:
          http://www.pspad.com/
          I guess it's difficult to implement, especially for a user-defined syntax.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Dear Nobody/Anonymous (nobody) - 2008-02-14 09:14

I am just asking if there is such an option. Now that I know that there isnt, its OK however it would be nice to have this option, and if someone doesn't want it, he turns it off. Also I dont think that it takes too much resources, even firefox has this option, computers are kind of powerful today.

• Nobody/Anonymous

> I dont think that it takes too much resources, even firefox has this option, computers are kind of powerful today

you can't edit and search through 20 mb files in Firefox, not to mention quite a few other things

• CodeNexus

CodeNexus - 2008-02-15

> you can't edit and search through 20 mb files in Firefox, not to mention
      > quite a few other things

I bet you could if you really tried... ;)