Menu

Notepad++ 4.5 crashes on "Save" and "Save As"

ke3pup
2007-10-30
2012-11-13
1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)
  • ke3pup

ke3pup - 2007-10-30

ok i just downloaded Notepad++ v4.5, installed it, copied some plain text into a new document (even tried saving a empty new document , then if i click Save, or Save as, the Save window shows up for a fraction of a second then Notepad++ suddenly crashes with no warning or anything like that. Same thing applies if i go to File->Save or File->Save As, it just crashes!

i have not made any modification to the settings file, and only have the plugins that came with the notepad++ installer. Tested on Windows XP SP-2 with a administrator privileges account .

does anyone know what's wrong?

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-11-06

Thank you for those who help to solve this crash issue.

However, this fix makes an incomplete behaviour for the new save dialog auto-add extension feature : when the button ok is clicked, the extension won't be added as a part of file name. Between the crash and the incomplete feature, the choice is obvious for everybody.
      Note that for those who don't have this crash issue won't be penalized by this modification.

This crash fix will come with the next release.

Don

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-10-30

Could you rename the "plugins" folder then do the same action?

Don

• ke3pup

ke3pup - 2007-10-30

i renamed the plugins folder to plugins_backup and tried again but no luck! Notepad++ crashes immediately (or should i say disappeared since no errors are displayed) as soon as i clicked Save As or File->Save as.. or File->Save

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-10-31

I think I know where it crash but I don't know why.

ke3pup, which filter (Save as types) do you choose before you click the save button?
        A screen shot may help.

Don

• CodeNexus

CodeNexus - 2007-10-30

Uninstall, reboot and reinstall perhaps?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I have the same issue. Works fine with existing files. But if I create a new file and try to save it crash.

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-10-31

What's your configuration? Xp sp2?

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

Can you tell which directory the Dialog is trying to show, or does it crash before any information gets visible?

• Nobody/Anonymous

it crashes too quickly for me to get a chance to see where it's looking, and to the question of "Which Filter do you choose", i don't even get a chance to see to which folder the Dialog is showing let alone choose a filter! it's like a millisecond thing, the dialog shows very very quickly for a fraction of a second and then Notepad++ crashes (Disappears).

and to the suggestion of "uninstall, reboot , reinstall" , i knew 100% that it won't solve the problem however i tried that too , but no luck. for me it crashes for both New files and Existing Files saving.

• Nobody/Anonymous

What is the current directory when you try this?
        -> Choose Open File instead of trying to save.

What is your setting for "Remember last operation directory" in Settings?

What directory is Notepad++ installed in?

• ke3pup

ke3pup - 2007-10-31

it crashes too quickly for me to get a chance to see where it's looking, and to the question of "Which Filter do you choose", i don't even get a chance to see to which folder the Dialog is showing let alone choose a filter! it's like a millisecond thing, the dialog shows very very quickly for a fraction of a second and then Notepad++ crashes (Disappears).

and to the suggestion of "uninstall, reboot , reinstall" , i knew 100% that it won't solve the problem however i tried that too , but no luck. for me it crashes for both New files and Existing Files saving.

• Sysyphos

Sysyphos - 2007-10-31

I'd like to add that I've also been having exactly the same issue with the new 4.5 .
      Exactly ... and I've tried as well all that ke3pup has done, with unfortunately the same results.

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-11-01

Your configuration?

Don

• Sysyphos

Sysyphos - 2007-11-02

My config's the defalt one on an XP sp2 machine.  I use notepad++, and always have,
          as the viewer for IE and I don't have it set up to use on a USP device, etc... .

I've never had a problem before and since 4.5 was installed, despite all that I've tried ( as described by ke3pup, that too ), I believe there's aproblem here with the new release.  It seems to me, guessing, that it might have something to do with the npcomm.dll.
          It doesn't properly load initially and then when one exits, it's still active.

• ke3pup

ke3pup - 2007-11-01

ok FIXED IT :) thanx to the comment made in the last post. here's what you do to fix it:

Go into settings and check the "remember the last operation directory" first, Then go into  File->Open and open something from a directory, a Text file or whatever file supported by Notepad++.

Now if you choose File->Save As notepad++ no longer crashes  ,File->Save also works on new documents.

PS: at the time of crash File->Open was pointing to the default directory where Notepad++ is installed.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I can't fix it, only saves existing documents, but can´t save new ones, I checked the option in Settings but Notepad++ still crashes in Save As, or Saving New Documents. And sorry for my english, it is not my native language.

• ke3pup

ke3pup - 2007-11-01

ok this is ridiculous, after a reboot i'm back at square one! now it's crashing again on Save As ans Save for new documents! i can't fix it again either, doing what i did previously won't solve the problem! it's still pointing at notepad++ default installation directory and the "Remember previous working directory" has no effect either! will someone from notepad++ development shed some light on this issue?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Perhaps the other questions, or answers to them, might (be of) help:

What is the current directory when you try this?
        -> Choose Open File instead of trying to save first. Which directory is shown?

What is your setting for "Remember last operation directory" in Settings?
        -> Glad it worked, although only once.

What directory is Notepad++ installed in?
        -> Perhaps an other directory might not have this problem.

Did you check the option "Don't use %ApplicationData% folder" on installation?
        -> Perhaps if you do, you won't have the problem.

• ke3pup

ke3pup - 2007-11-01

ok below is Answers to your Questions and Result of your suggestions:

Q1) What is the current directory when you try this? 
      -> Choose Open File instead of trying to save first. Which directory is shown?

ANSWER:

C:\Program Files\NotepadPlusPlus\ (when Notepad++ in installed in that directory Path)
      C:\NotepadPP (when Notepad++ in installed in that directory Path)

NOTE: Previously i had installed Notepad++ in Default directory of:

"C:\Program Files\Notepad++\"
      But that kept crashing too so i tried to install in a different directory!

Q2) What is your setting for "Remember last operation directory" in Settings? 

ANSWER: Check/Unchecked DOES NOT make a difference, it crashes with the setting is
              either check or unchecked.

Q3)What directory is Notepad++ installed in?
      -> Perhaps an other directory might not have this problem.

ANSWER:

i have tried the default directory of:
            "C:\Program Files\Notepad++\"
         have also tried:
             "C:\Program Files\NotepadPlusPlus\    AND
             "C:\NotepadPP"

Q4) Did you check the option "Don't use %ApplicationData% folder" on installation?
      -> Perhaps if you do, you won't have the problem.

ANSWER: i tried to install with both the ""Don't use %ApplicationData% folder" checked and unchecked with no luck, notepad++ keeps crashing on Save or Save as.

• Nobody/Anonymous

If you save an opened file in Notepad++, this should work if I understand you, is it possible to then successfully open the Save As dialog (from the same or a new document)?

Is there a difference in behavior for this sequence depending on the "remember last operation directory" setting?

• ke3pup

ke3pup - 2007-11-02

The link below is a LOG file of Sysinternals Filemon, the captured event are event related to notepad++ ONLY from After Start to just up to File->Save AS where notepad++ crashes, hope someone will find it helpful and issue a fix.

http://fileho.com/download/579437625850/Filemon-notepad---log.LOG.html

• ke3pup

ke3pup - 2007-11-02

• Sysyphos

Sysyphos - 2007-11-02

In my last msg, I meant to write

nppcm.dll

But I did install again 4.4 and still had the same issue, problem.  SO perhaps it's something to do with an MS update of late.

The nppcm.dll is dated to about a year ago, 23/11/06 ... .

So...I don't what else I can say now, but I will go now and look at the log file you
      posted...curious, all this.

I'm going to copy this msg and the one about the log file to Don Ho...just to make sure he doesn't miss this.

• ke3pup

ke3pup - 2007-11-02

ok i just made a VM Virtual machine running XP SP-2, and tested Notepad++ on, it works! The link below is a FileMon log of the notepad++ (Event are filtered by notepd++ so no other events are included) running in VM , the log includes only the events raised by notepad++ from After the notepad++ startup to when the the Save as Dialog appears. (it was showing the directory of the default notepad++ installation directory). i thought I'll post it to help it comparison to the other log where notepad++ crashes.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8c952tb9ccu

1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)