Menu

Volatile search setting search repeat

2007-11-01
2012-11-13
  • Stephen Boissiere

Notepad++ is great (I use it for Lua and Python editing), and I find the volatile search really useful. Visual studio has a similar feature, but with subtly different behaviour:

In visual studio using 'find next/previous selected' also sets the search repeat value, as though you had actually typed the word into the find box and clicked find. Hence you can use it as a shortcut to initiate a repeated search, where you can actually modify or remove the text you are searching for in each instance. With Notepad++ this is not possible, because if you modify what you just found the volatile search obviously won't find the same thing anymore.

I'm NOT saying this is better per-se, but it is something I do incredibly often in visual studio and if possible I'd like the option of doing it in notepad++ since I switch between the two frequently.

Is there a way of doing this in Notepad++? If not...

I know there are already a lot of options in the preferences dialog so perhaps it would be best implemented as a new pair of commands? e.g:

Find (volatile set repeat) Next
    Find (volatile set repeat) Previous

I'd probably be willing to have a stab at implementing this myself if that would be welcome?

• Stephen Boissiere

Well having had a look at the source I can see my plan won't work because it is not possible to have a command that is not initially mapped in the accelerator table and it seems it also needs to be included in a menu. I guess I could create a dummy menu but that seems hokey at best.

So I guess it's an entry in the MISC options tab :(

There seems to be a lot of these 'why isn't notepad++ like my editor of choice' posts. Maybe it would be worth (as a longer-term goal) having a 'compatibility' setting which would hide a load of really (too) detailed options under one simple heading.

• Stephen Boissiere

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

• Michiel Visser

Michiel Visser - 2010-03-01

This option is still not there. I see this as my most important issue with Notepad++. I want to do ctrl+f3 once, and then use f3 further on. There does not seem any way to do this in a macro, or is it?

• cchris

cchris - 2010-03-01

Macro recording is not supported by Scintilla. It was in old versions, but with very surprising results.

I may submit a patch for this some day - I have said this too often -, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

CChris