Menu

several bugs(?)

cichlasoma
2007-10-18
2013-03-15
  • cichlasoma

cichlasoma - 2007-10-18

hi.
    i'm quite puzzled with some pydev behaviors.
    to begin with:

1)the following code

s=raw_input("string: ")
    if s=="a":
        print"it's a"
    else:print"it isn't a"
    print s.find("a")
    print s

outputs

it isn't a
    a

when "a" is input if run as pythonrun. (run as jython or jythonrun, it behaves less surprisingly.)

2) changing shortcut setting for "comment" command takes no effect and the default ctrl+/ doesn't work if i have czech keyboard set.

3) i'm not offered any class specific methods when i write "." or press ctrl+space after writing a name of a class instance. i'm offered just the methods i've already used with the type & special methods like __init__. also, python doesn't offer python modules as math to code comlete import statement. if jython is set as project type, i'm offered not just java "modules" like javax, but also classes like JFrame to import them.

i'd be very greatful for any hints how to fix the code completion for java "native" classes especially.

TIA,
    c.

• cichlasoma

cichlasoma - 2007-10-18

(i guess i should add, i'm in windows xp, using python 2.5 & the newest versions of eclipse, pydev and jython).

• cichlasoma

cichlasoma - 2007-10-18

and a question more: how to persuade python/jython editor to insert real tab characters on the tab key instead of spaces?

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2007-10-18

window > preferences > pydev > uncheck replace tabs with spaces.

Cheers,

Fabio

• cichlasoma

cichlasoma - 2007-10-18

...an one more again:
      isn't it possible to enlarge the pop-up window displaying docstrings in eclipse to be able to read the whle text?

• Fabio Zadrozny

Yes (in windows -- in linux it doesn't work because of an Eclipse bug):

Just resize your completions dialog (and the docstring pop-up dialog will follow that when requested again).

Cheers,

Fabio

• Fabio Zadrozny

1) Check the faq: http://pydev.sourceforge.net/faq.html#why_raw_input_input_does_not_work_correctly

2) That's not really pydev related, but rather Eclipse related (so, you should ask/report a bug at eclipse.org)

3) Can you give some actual code-examples (it may be lots of things, so, an example for each case would make it easier for me to understand what can be the problem).

Cheers,

Fabio

• cichlasoma

cichlasoma - 2007-10-18

thanx a lot for all the replies!
      as for the problems with code completion - strangely, i'm not able to reproduce some of them, yet i really never get any help on methods of java classes:

(pydev project type set to jython:)

import javax.swing
      from javax.swing import *

#b=JB/ctrl+space -> JButton - ok/
      b=JButton()
      #b./nothing offered, ctrl+space -> "BEEP"/
      #JButton./nothing offered, ctrl+space -> "BEEP"/

should it be possible to get help on java classes' members somehow?
      (btw, i guess, it's definitely not possible to be offered members of .NET classes for code completion when using IronPython...(?))

c.

• cichlasoma

cichlasoma - 2007-10-19

i've to add a question more - where to set IRONPYTHONPATH to my Python25 directory to be able to use ironpython i pydev? i've made it a windows environment varible and added it to ironpython's PYTHONPATH when setting python interpreter in pydev as well, yet i get this error message: "AttributeError: attribute 'settrace' of 'module' object is read-only"
      TIA, c.

• cichlasoma

cichlasoma - 2007-10-19

sorry, i've got iropython thing already, works fine.

• cichlasoma

cichlasoma - 2007-10-19

(mmm... not so cler with ironpython - i still get the attribute error in console and the "socket closed" error in pop-up window on some occasions, e.g. when trying to import clr. (?)

• cichlasoma

cichlasoma - 2007-10-20

also, input & raw_input e.g. are not offered in call tips for code completion at all :-(

• cichlasoma

cichlasoma - 2007-10-20

(the last remark is true for python pydev project type, not for jython)

• cichlasoma

cichlasoma - 2007-10-20

btw, i'm not sure whether the "2)" "compaint" in my original post is more eclipse than pydev related, as outside pydev, shortcuts redefinitions work well...