Menu

@INC problem with large project

Help
2007-06-26
2013-05-20
  • Michael Herger

Michael Herger - 2007-06-26

Hi

I'm trying to use EPIC to work on SlimServer (http://www.slimdevices.com). Although I've added _all_ subfolders I still get error messages about "Compilation failed in require". While the line isn't underlined any more, there's still the red bullet to the left of it.

Should EPIC be able to manage a project of that size?

Michael

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2007-06-26

Your problem is likely not related to the project size or EPIC at all. Search this forums for tips on resolving @INC problems (particularly manual invocations of "perl -c" for diagnosing them). One more hint: under Windows, do NOT use backslashes in paths, use forward slashes instead.

BTW, you should not have to add all folders to @INC with any sensible project structure, just the roots of the trees in which the *.pm files are located.

• Michael Herger

Michael Herger - 2007-06-27

Thanks! Though I have searched the list before posting, I didn't know about that perl -c diagnosis. Will give it a try.

Michael

• Michael Herger

Michael Herger - 2007-06-27

That really helped - to find the explanation in the SlimServer code itself... It comes with it's own collection of CPAN modules. But some of them are installed in different versions on my system, resulting in a version conflict when loading XS modules.

Is there a way to reverse the path search order (custom path before system @INC)? I'd need to first look inside SlimServer's own CPAN folder before perl searches the system's library path.

Thanks for the pointer.

• Jan Ploski

Jan Ploski - 2007-06-27

The default behavior of Perl is that paths provided by -I take precedence over the built-in path. So all you need is add the custom CPAN folder to your @INC in EPIC. You can easily find out the effective include path by running this script: foreach my $i(@INC) { print "$i\n"; }