Menu

Crashes with 4.1.1

2007-05-18
2012-11-13
  • Sim Harbert

Sim Harbert - 2007-05-18

I have been a happy user of Notepad++ 3.9 for quite a while now.  I just the other day decided there might be a new update, so I downloaded 4.1.1.  With the new version it has crashed almost every time I run it.  Some of the crashes have occurred when saving a file!  Not a good time to crash.

Is there some trick to installing the new version?  Do I have a DLL lodged in the wrong place or something?  I have tried uninstalling and wiping away the "Program Files/Notepad++" folder and uninstalling and rebooting, etc.

I am running on Windows XP with all the latest MS updates.  I have Aspell-0.50-3 installed.  Not sure what other info might be pertinent.

-Sim

• Michael

Michael - 2007-05-22

I just wanted to add to what others said that removing the hex editor plugin fixes it.

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-05-22

Which file did you remove exactly?
        HexEditorPlugin.dll or HexEditor.dll ?

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

Same here... just upgraded from 3.9 to 4.1... and it crashes every time I try to open it.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times... no luck.  Running WinXP Pro SP2 with all the MS recommended updates. 
      Thnx -C.

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-05-18

I did a clean install of v3.9 with Notepad++ v3.9 installer.
        Then I use Notepad++ v4.1.1 installer to override the v3.9 installation.

For me, there's no crash.

Could you send your xml files in %AppData%\Notepad++ to :
        don_DOT_h_AT_free_DOT_fr

?

Don

• Don HO

Don HO - 2007-05-18

Rename plugins folder in Notepad++ installed directory to make sure the crash comes from Notepad++.

Is anyone in here has the same problem?

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

i can confirm the issue. upgraded from 3.9 to 4.1 and it crashes everytime i doubleclick on a file of an associated file type.
      HOWEVER renaming the plugins directory fixed the issue.
      now for the part where i find the responsible plugin...

• Nobody/Anonymous

so... personally, i found hexeditor to be the source of my troubles.

• Clarke Wixon

Clarke Wixon - 2007-05-18

For me it's HexEditorPlugin.dll.  If that's present, the program crashes.  If it's not available, the program is stable.

Like one of the posters above I upgraded from 3.9 to 4.1.1.  If I start N++ from its Start Menu entry it doesn't crash, but if I use the Explorer context menu entry to open and edit a file, it crashes every time until I get rid of that plugin dll.

Hope this helps.

• Clarke Wixon

Clarke Wixon - 2007-05-18

Er, in other words, exactly what Nobody said.

• Anthony Nelson

Anthony Nelson - 2007-05-18

I had the same issue and, coincidentally, had 3.9 as well. I had used 3.9 very little and made no additions to it so I would assume the HexEditorPlugin is a notepad++ file. Are there any drawbacks to removing it?

I had 3.5 (I think) on another machine and that one worked fine upgrading to 4.1.1.

• Nobody/Anonymous

A new version of both plugins will come out at this weekend for testing if crash problems are solved. One plugin is here available.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1675550&group_id=189927&atid=931289

Let me know if there are still the same or other problems.

Best Regards
      Jens