Menu

Protocol Precedence

2007-04-22
2013-01-14
  • Doug Breaux

Doug Breaux - 2007-04-22

When grouping multiple IDs for a contact under a single "meta-contact", I would like to be able to specify which service takes precedence.  I thought I could do this simply by ordering the contacts, but for some reason people whom I have on both Yahoo and Gtalk insist on using the Gtalk ID unless I explicitly select the Yahoo one, despite the fact that the Yahoo IDs are listed first.

Is there any way to accomplish what I want here?  Thanks.

Doug

• Etan Reisner

Etan Reisner - 2007-04-22

The visual order does control that but only to an extent, the relative 'availability' of the buddies also factors in, pidgin attempts to give you the best shot of actually reaching your buddy and the assumption is that all else being equal the most active account is likely to be where they actually are. There is a plugin (that doesn't build by default but is in the source) that allows you to tweak some of the settings which control how these calculations work. I wrote the plugin a long time ago and haven't played with it much since, so whether it builds cleanly at the moment I'm unsure but it shouldn't be hard to fix if it doesn't.

• Doug Breaux

Doug Breaux - 2007-04-23

Ok.  For the record, then, with Yahoo manually ordered first, and the buddy idle on both Yahoo and GTalk, GTalk is still used by default.  I'd even say that when my buddy is actually Active on both, GTalk is still being used, but I can't swear to that.  In this case, both me and my buddy are on the 2.0 beta 6.  FWIW.