Menu

pyDev 1.3.1 hangs

2007-04-12
2013-03-15
  • Steve Gieseking

Steve Gieseking - 2007-04-12

I am having Eclipse hang at random times when pyDev 1.3.1 is installed.  I have tried using 1.2.9 as well but still get the random problems.  I am using Eclipse 3.2.2 on Fedora Core 6.  It will run fine for a random amount of time (2 minutes to 2 hours) and then go to 100% load at random.  There does not seem to be a pattern when it hangs.  It could be viewing Python source, saving a file, or just sitting there.  Eclipse has to be forced to quit.  I have tried to disable most of the options but this has not helped.  If pyDev is disabled, I don't have any problems.  Any suggestions?

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2007-04-12

Which vm are you using?

• Steve Gieseking

Steve Gieseking - 2007-04-12

I am using the default java vm installed as part of Fedora Core 6.
      It gives the following version information:
      java version "1.4.2"
      gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.1 20070105 (Red Hat 4.1.1-51)

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2007-04-12

Can you give it a try with another vm? (such as the sun or jrockit vm)

-- I've had other reports about problems with the default linux vm

Cheers,

Fabio

• Steve Gieseking

Steve Gieseking - 2007-04-18

I installed the Sun JDK 1.6.0 and everything seem to be working well the last several days.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• Marco

Marco - 2007-04-13

The same problem on my machine since the upgrade to 1.3.1: Win2000, 3.2.2, Java VM 1.5.0_11

Have a marvelous day,
      Marco

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2007-04-13

Well, it's difficult for me to fix it since I can reproduce it... so, I was wondering if you could help me in tracing the problem... basically, getting the jrockit jdk, starting eclipse with the -Xmanagement vmargs and then starting the jrockit mission control tool to see if a thread is deadlocked and what exactly is that thread doing...

I can give you better instructions if you need them while doing it...

Cheers,

Fabio

• Marco

Marco - 2007-04-13

I will gladly help you... is JRockit really necessary? I don't want to shoot my (developer) box into the nirvana. Is there no way I can get the information with the standard jdk from sun (1.5) which is already installed? I will have to do it after the weekend... I am leaving now. You may reach me under: KMEMDFMVQMMV(<at>)spammotel.com

Have a nice weekend!
          Marco

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2007-04-16

You could do it with the sun jdk, but then you'd have to use some other tool to make that analysis... you could use jprobe or some other profiling tool, but I think that using jrockit would be the easiest way of doing it...

Cheers,

Fabio

• Tony Perkins

Tony Perkins - 2007-04-17

I hope someone figures this out soon. Mine locks up about every 20 minutes.

• Tony Perkins

Tony Perkins - 2007-04-17

BTW, I tried it with JDK 1.5 and JDK 1.6 with the same results. If no one figures this out soon I will try to use jprobe to track down the deadlock.

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2007-04-17

Try the new release (1.3.2), I've found one bug that could make pydev hang under some circumstances -- Also, if it still happens, if you could give me some feedback on jprobe or jrockit, it would be pretty nice (I actually think that jrockit can be a little easier for that, but if you already have jprobe setup, it may be easier)

Cheers,

Fabio