Menu

MSN: "connection error" possible reason..

2007-03-22
2013-01-14
  • Marko Bratkovic

Marko Bratkovic - 2007-03-22

Sometimes I get "Message could not be sent because a connection error occurred" or that famous switchboard error... I've read that it happens for unknown reason, also when you write a message and close the windows immediately. From this behaviour: what if all this is caused by some poor MSN spam/whatever filter? Here's why I think so:
    - if a message is sent and window closed immediately, maybe it assumes it's a spam, so it returns an error (switchboard one).
    - if a message contains any url with download.php in the end, I'll ALWAYS get "connection error" message. MSN assuming it's a possible evil url or spam? Same message with "down lo ad.php" in the end of URL works fine. I just tried sending same message (with download.php in the end) from some Windows MSN client to me and it gets ignroed. I can see user writing me a message but I recieve nothing. Weird.

I dunno, I'm just thinking loud here (before posting a bug report). Has anyone else come to similar conclusions? I'm using Gaim on Windows and Linux, same pattern everywhere. Maybe Gaim should not report window closed for a certain amount of time, but for download.php thingie, I have no clue how to solve it :(

- Marko

• Marko Bratkovic

Marko Bratkovic - 2007-03-22

Edit: I just realised this is some dumb feature of MSN...so nevermind the "download.php" problem. More here: http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=144539