Menu

Connecting from behind proxy

VogonJeltz
2007-02-07
2013-01-14
  • VogonJeltz

VogonJeltz - 2007-02-07

Hi

I have been unable to connect to any of the servers (Yahoo/Jabber/Gtalk) in the last few months.I am behind a
    university proxy and I think that packets are being filtered.Also nmap shows that only ssh and http ports are
    open and the rest are closed.The sysadmins are not very cooperative in this regard and don't divulge anything.

My question is this-

Although I am behind a proxy I have often connected in the past without the proxy option in Gaim.However I have
    to use a proxy for viewing webpages.How is this possible?

Off late the connections to Yahoo/Gtalk are simply dropped without any error.The debug windows shows that connection
    failed due to timeout.What could be the reason?
    NOTE: Yahoo Messenger and Gtalk still connect without any hassles.

• hrimhari

hrimhari - 2007-02-19

In the case of ICQ/AIM, luckily their server supports all variety of ports. If you need to use a proxy to connect to ICQ/AIM, be sure to use port 443. That's frequently the only port that proxies accept when a proxy CONNECT request is issued.

In the case of MSN, should you need HTTP protocol AND proxy, I was not able to make it work without installing a local Squid proxy pointing to the real proxy and then using my Squid to connect. I've read somewhere that it's an SSL problem and it's not clear to me why a local Squid solves the problem, but it worked. Btw, that was on Windoze and the proxy's M$.

When I looked at the log, it would seemly connect, download the user list but would not put me on "online" status nor would notify me of anyone's "online" status.

Good luck,
      hri

• Nameless Voice

Nameless Voice - 2007-02-19

I've had no trouble connecting to MSN with GaIM via HTTP proxy.
      Just plug in the same settings as your browser is using and see if that works.

• VogonJeltz

VogonJeltz - 2007-02-24

I've solved the problem temporarily using a designated IP on the LAN that had its SOCKS port open.
      All messages are now routed through it.But this is only a quickfix, I still haven't figured out how
      I was able to connect earlier.

Thanks for the replies,I will try to get a squid cache installed and try it out.