Menu

plptools in mandriva 2007, howto use?

Help
tomrevilla
2007-01-07
2013-04-29
  • tomrevilla

tomrevilla - 2007-01-07

i installed the plptools in Mandriva 2007, they provide a the package, and the service is enabled at booting time. So I tried to connect in the location bar from konqueror with psion:/ but I only got the answer:

An error occurred while loading psion:/:
    Could not connect to host localhost:7501: no psion connected.

I tried to start the connection from the cmd line (as root):
    [root@hal9000 tommy]# ncpd
    listen on 127.0.0.1:7501: Address already in use # I also tried after switching off, then starting manually
    [root@hal9000 tommy]# plpnfsd
    Owner set to tommy.tommy

But this is the only thing that I got:
    [tommy@hal9000 ~]$ ls /mnt/psion/
    proc/
    [tommy@hal9000 ~]$ ls /mnt/psion/proc/
    acache dcache debuglevel exit unixowner

I tried to find a howto, guide, but there isn't any, only the man pages and I really don't understand the man pages. Also when trying to use plpnsfd with a user option, I could use the df, it gets stucked, and konqueror stalls when trying to read /mnt.

I was able to connect my 5mx long ago in another PC, but now I don't remmember the the details

• Reuben Thomas

Reuben Thomas - 2007-01-08

What version of the kernel, what version of plptools, what sort of serial port?

On some platforms and under some conditions (though precisely what I've never pinned down) you need to start up plptools once, shut it down and restart it for it to work properly. This has seemed to happen mostly with USB serial ports.

• tomrevilla

tomrevilla - 2007-01-08

[tommy@hal9000 jpl]$ uname -a
      Linux hal9000.lan 2.6.17-5mdv #1 SMP Wed Sep 13 14:32:31 EDT 2006 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz GNU/Linux

[root@hal9000 tommy]# ncpd -V
      ncpd Version 0.15

I have a conventional serial port, direct link to the pc using the cable (no usb adapter). The port should be working because when I open the Comms program in the psion it starts to display characters (of course, rubish).

• Reuben Thomas

Reuben Thomas - 2007-01-08

OK, so your hardware is straightforward (hence there should be no kernel problems), and you're reasonably up-to-date with plptools.

What happens if you restart plptools?

• tomrevilla

tomrevilla - 2007-01-09

You mean this?:

[tommy@hal9000 ~]$ /usr/sbin/plpnfsd # as normal user, ncpd was started already at boot
          Owner set to tommy.tommy
          [tommy@hal9000 ~]$ df
          Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
          /dev/hda1             793M  147M  646M  19% /
          /dev/hdb1             190G  124G   67G  65% /home
          /dev/hda8             550M   59M  491M  11% /tmp
          /dev/hda6              17G  4.0G   13G  24% /usr
          /dev/hda7             997M  277M  720M  28% /var
          [tommy@hal9000 ~]$ ls /mnt/psion/
          proc/
          [tommy@hal9000 ~]$ ls /mnt/psion/proc/
          acache  dcache  debuglevel  exit  unixowner

Again nothing. What I am doing wrong? If I disable the automatic service, could you please tell me the exact sequence of commands? or how to monitor the connection. This important bit of documentation is still lacking, I mean a tutorial.

• Reuben Thomas

Reuben Thomas - 2007-01-10

The reason there's no guide is because this stuff is a) platform-dependent and b) standard on each platform. I expect that you want to run

/etc/init.d/plptools restart

to restart plptools. You could try googling for something like "restart system service mandriva".

• tomrevilla

tomrevilla - 2007-01-10

[root@hal9000 tommy]# /etc/init.d/psion restart
        Stopping Psion support ...
          plpprintd:                                                    [  OK  ]
          ncpd:                                                         [  OK  ]
        Starting Psion support ...

Nothing new happens, the /mnt/psion directory still shows the proc directory only. The mount command show this line: localhost:/psion on /mnt/psion type nfs (hard,intr)

but the psion does not appear listed by the df command.

• Reuben Thomas

OK, can you give me the output of dmesg (something like dmesg | tail -40 or possibly sudo dmesg|tail -40) immediately after you restart the service?

• tomrevilla

tomrevilla - 2007-01-10

[root@hal9000 safe]# /etc/init.d/psion restart
            Stopping Psion support ...
            Starting Psion support ...
            [root@hal9000 safe]# dmesg | tail -40
            end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
            hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
            hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x34 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x03 }
            ide: failed opcode was: unknown
            end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 1229248
            Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 307312
            hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x34 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x03 }
            end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 1229188
            Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 307297
            end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 1232564
            Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 308141
            end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 1234320
            Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 308580
            floppy0: disk absent or changed during operation
            Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
            floppy0: disk absent or changed during operation
            Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0

• Reuben Thomas

Thanks. I think dmesg was a red herring; can you do the same for /var/log/daemon.log, i.e.

sudo grep ncpd /var/log/daemon.log

? You could also try /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog if that gives nothing; I'm not well up on the current state of RedHat.

• tomrevilla

tomrevilla - 2007-01-11

greping /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog gave no output

I was reading some connectivity info from the linux on psion howto, they mention the requirement of the ttyAM1 serial port. I looked at /dev and I couldn't found such port, only the tyyS[0-3], could that be the reason?

• Reuben Thomas

Reuben Thomas - 2007-01-11

I've never heard of /dev/ttyAM1, and I certainly don't have it myself, so I think that's a read herring.

Did you try grepping /var/log/daemon.log too? From your previous messages it's obvious that ncpd is running (because you can see some entries in /mnt/psion).

Check that you have the correct serial port listed in /etc/plptools.conf. It'll probably be /dev/ttyS0; are you indeed using your first (or only) serial port?

If none of this works, we're into running ncpd manually and seeing what happens: stop plptools with

/etc/init.d/plptools stop

then run ncpd:

sudo ncpd -s /dev/ttyS0 -d

and paste the output.

• tomrevilla

tomrevilla - 2007-01-12

[root@hal9000 ~]# ncpd -s /dev/ttyS0 -d &  # I also tried with ttyS1
                    [root@hal9000 ~]# grep ncpd /var/log/messages
                    Jan 12 19:16:03 localhost ncpd[2796]: Got SIGTERM
                    Jan 12 19:16:03 localhost ncpd[2796]: terminating
                    Jan 12 19:19:51 localhost ncpd: Got SIGTERM
                    Jan 12 19:19:51 localhost ncpd: terminating
                    Jan 12 19:21:23 localhost ncpd: Got SIGTERM
                    Jan 12 19:21:23 localhost ncpd: terminating

Maybe some indication here?:
                    [root@hal9000 ~]# cat /var/log/syslog | tail -20
                    Jan 12 19:25:10 localhost plpnfsd[4624]: could not create rfsv or rpcs object, connect delayed
                    Jan 12 19:25:10 localhost plpnfsd[4625]: to stop the server do "echo stop > /mnt/psion/proc/exit".
                    Jan 12 19:25:21 localhost kernel: NFS: server localhost error: fileid changed
                    Jan 12 19:25:21 localhost kernel: fsid 0:12: expected fileid 0xc, got 0x0
                    Jan 12 19:25:23 localhost plpnfsd[4625]: plpnfsd: terminating.

I have two serial ports, but I don't know which one is (physically) COM1/ttyS0 and COM2/ttyS1, so I did the test using both. With respect to /var/log/daemon.log, i don't have this file, and I asked the ppl from the Mandriva forum for the equivalent. The Mandriva packager(s) changed several things, the /etc/init.d/plptools is /etc/init.d/psion (but I checked the contents are the same, and plptools.conf is /etc/sysconfig/psion. I'll try to get in contact with the packager (Buchan Milne <bgmilne@mandriva.org>) to ask him if he actually tested the pack. Otherwise I'll install the thing from sources (which compiles in my system, fortunatelly).

• Reuben Thomas

Reuben Thomas - 2007-01-13

> Jan 12 19:25:10 localhost plpnfsd[4624]: could not create rfsv or rpcs object, connect delayed

This is a familiar message when something is up with ncpd.

The ncpd messages never note the connection of a Psion device. One thing to note, though, is that plpftp is easier to get working than plpnfsd, so you may want to try that first.