Menu

Feature Request: x button for all open tabs

2006-03-11
2012-11-13
  • Nobody/Anonymous

An x close button for all open tabs, just like firefox.

• Nobody/Anonymous

In that how about adding the double-click feature as an option too

• Don HO

Don HO - 2006-08-16

> In that how about adding the double-click feature as an option too

OK, il will be in v3.9

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

What about replacing the x in the right corner with a nicer icon? (if it's not too much work of course)

• Nobody/Anonymous

Already in v3.5

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

• Don HO

Don HO - 2006-03-13

oups!
        Sorry, I won't do this feature.

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

why?

and why didn't you use the close icon instead of the  ugly "X"?

• Nobody/Anonymous

I think it was an easier implementation for Don. Furthermore, the features that are requested are available over the icon bar, on right click on a tab, a short cut and over the menu. Is this not enough?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Well yes, it's enough. But IMHO the X is two bars to high AND ist not a close icon ;-)

• jive

jive - 2006-03-13

I agree. There should be an X on the tab itself to close the tab. It makes the over-all flow easier.  Is it really a hard feature to implement? This is such a fantastic editor, I think that this is one feature that will make it better. And I agree that the X is too far up. That X shoud be placed where on the same row as the tabs.

But really though Don. I think you should reconsider. It would only make the best text editor out there even better!

• Don HO

Don HO - 2006-03-15

The implementation of X button on the menu row is the best compromise between the functionality and coding effort that I can find. I won't do further for it.

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

If you MIDDLE CLICK it closes the tab, no need for a X on each button

• Nobody/Anonymous

Maybe, that Don could implement a DOUBLE CLICK on closing a tab. For those, that not have a middle (third) mouse button.

• Nobody/Anonymous

My vote is against the X on each tab. I never liked having an X on individual tabs anyway and don't look forward to it on other applications such as Firefox and IE 7.

I'd accidentally click the X and close the tab when intending to give the tab focus. It always seemed like a backwards way of doing things.

Nick

• Nobody/Anonymous

One more vote against the button on every tab. It can take useful space.

The double click to close may be nice for those without the middle button. In other hand, it may close tabs accidentally.

Rico

• Hans Ajiet Holtkamp

Another vote *against* the button on every tab.

It not only takes up too much space; it has no advantage at all in my opinion!

• f0dder

f0dder - 2006-03-18

I vote against this, too.

It's nice for webbrowsers, but considering the amount of files many people have open when programming, it would be needless clutter for this editor...

• jive

jive - 2006-03-20

Make it optional. That way everyone wins. - But seems I'm fighting a hopeless battle. Don won't implement it and that sucks. I can understand Don not wanting to make the extra coding effort. I love this App.  This, and a few more features would have made it the perfect editor...

• Don HO

Don HO - 2006-08-14

Due to numerous request for the feature "X button on each tab", I'll finally implement it in v3.9. It'll be optional and non-activated by default. To enable this feature : Check "Enable close button for per tab" in Preferences dialog -> Global -> Tab bar setting.

Don

• Chris Severance

Chris Severance - 2006-03-21

>There should be an X on the tab itself to close the tab. It makes the over-all flow easier. Is it really a hard feature to implement?

I'd like [x] on the tabs too but I had a look at the tab control and decided it would be an unreasonable request because it is much too hard. I just get along with the button bar.

Plenty of yes votes from Azureus users I suspect.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I think a double-click for closing tab, would be much better substitute. Since I have to point my mouse on the x sign and then click (what an effort) compared to putting the mouse on any point of the tab and double clicking on it.

• Paul Macklin

Paul Macklin - 2006-08-14

Double-clicking to close a tab sounds like an invitation for disaster. It's very easy to accidentally click a second time on something. An unexpected behavior like that could easily lead to unintentional data loss.

Surely, you could-just right-click your tab, or hit <control>-W to close the tab, if you're too worried about aiming your mouse. ;-) -- Paul