Menu

Notepad++ 3.8 crashes on "Undo" function

2006-07-23
2012-11-13
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I just downloaded version 3.8.
    Open a new document and type some lines in.
    If you press the "Undo" button on the menu bar, Notepad++ crashes with an error window (something like "Notepad++ generated errors...").

This error does not happen in version 3.7.

My OS is Windows 2000 Pro SP4.

• DooGie

DooGie - 2006-07-23

No problem here. Running XP Home SP2.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Works here - Win2000.

I did see undo is mouse-cursor move sliced, so many new lines all undo, unless cursor is moved between.
      Some other editors slice the undo also at CrLf.

- but that is not a crash, just a personality..
      jmg_

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi - I'm the original poster of the thread.  To add to my environment, I did not use the install program for Notepad++.  I just unzip the .zip file to a directory to make it portable.

I tried the same scenario with Notepad++ 3.8 on my Windows XP SP2 laptop and it did not crash.

In my other laptop with Windows 2000 SP4, Notepad++ 3.8 only crashes if you open the application to a new document, type something, and press the "Undo" button. 

If you open an existing document, type something, then press "Undo" - the application does not crash.
      If you open an existing document, and create a new document tab then type something and "Undo" the typing - the application does not crash.

As I mentioned before, the application crash does not happen with the prior version 3.7

-pjb

• Nobody/Anonymous

"only crashes if you open the application to a new document, type something, and press the "Undo" button."

That's what I tried: File.New.Type.Undo
        works fine - Win2000 Sp4.
        Perhaps there is another trigger ? 

jmg_

• Nobody/Anonymous

Some more clarifications:

1. Double-click on notepad++.exe.  This opens up a tab called "new 1".
      2. Type some letters.
      3. Press "undo" button.

I sometimes see a window indicating "invalid window handle" or sometimes "access is denied".  Then comes another window stating "notepad++.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program.  An error log is being generated."

I am only able to reproduce the error in the above scenario.  If I do "File...New" to create another tab and follow steps 2-4 there are no errors.  Although I am expecting the new tab to be called "new 2" rather than "new 3".

• f0dder

f0dder - 2006-07-26

I just tried that exact procedure here (XP-SP2 Pro, Danish, using blackbox/bblean_1.16 shell) - one time with Ctrl+Z undo, the other time pressing the undo button.

NP++ v3.6: works fine
        NP++ v3.7: works fine
        NP++ v3.8: works fine

• Nobody/Anonymous

Tried that as well, and still it works 100%.
        Just New1, some text, undo = OK. ?

jmg_

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks Jens.  I'm able to get it to work by taking the HexEditorPlugin.dll from the 3.8 installer version and replacing the one from the 3.8 standalone .zip version.

I see that they have different timestamps.

Thanks jmg_ for helping me clarify the issue.

pjb

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hello it seems that you have an old version of HexEditPlugin. Please install the newest one.

Regards
      Jens