Menu

Service cannot be started with vstsplugin

Help
2005-10-20
2013-03-08
  • Dan Elebash

Dan Elebash - 2005-10-20

I am running the same configuration of components as listed in your setup doc, however after dropping the plugin into the server folder of cruise control I get the below application error.  Any ideas, thanks.

Service cannot be started. System.BadImageFormatException: The format of the file 'ccnet.vsts.plugin.dll' is invalid.
    File name: "ccnet.vsts.plugin.dll"
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Boolean isStringized, Evidence assemblySecurity, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

• Martin Woodward

Martin Woodward - 2005-10-22

Couple of questions Dan,

Are you running on a 64-bit copy of windows?

Have you edited the ccnet.exe.config (or ccservices.exe.config if running as a service) to include the correct supported runtimes?  Do you have  v2.0.50727 of the .NET framework installed on the same machine as the plugin?

Many thanks,

Martin.

• Dan Elebash

Dan Elebash - 2005-10-25

Thanks, unless I typed something wrong it looks like the order of the startup runtimes matters, below is what I had, when I copied the exact text from your release notes it worked fine.

<startup>
                <supportedRuntime version="v1.1.4322" />
                <supportedRuntime version="v1.0.3705" />
                <requiredRuntime version="v1.0.3705" />
                <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727" />
            </startup>

• Martin Woodward

Martin Woodward - 2005-10-25

Cool, glad you have it working.  Looking at the docs for supported runtime, they confirm your finding that order is important.  See <A HREF="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/gnconSupportedRuntimeElement.asp">http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/gnconSupportedRuntimeElement.asp</A> for more information.

Thanks,

Martin.

• Zack

Zack - 2006-05-08

I am now experiencing this exact same issue with the VSTS RC version of the plugin.  I too double-checked that the supportedRuntime config elements were in the correct order but that did not fix the problem for me.  I get the same error on both our CCNET server and my local workstation (wanted to make sure I could replicate the issue).  I do not have the 1.0 framework installed on either box, so I even experimented with removing the 1.0 framework "supported/requiredRuntime" elements and setting each of the other two versions of the framework as the "requiredRuntime", to no avail.  As an additional measure, I even downloaded the vsts plugin source and compiled it on my development workstation as suggested on this site.  No luck there either.  Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,

Zack

• Zack

Zack - 2006-05-08

I neglected to mention that I am using version 1.0.1.1277 of CCNET.