Menu

Cannot use UTF8 in nativeLang.xml?

2005-12-05
2012-11-13
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I want to make a Vietnamese translation for Notepad++ so I follow the instruction and beginning to translate from english.xml

But then I need to encode the file in UTF8 Unicode for Vietnamese characters to display properly. I change this in the Format menu, and then restarted Notepad++.

The next time it started, the program just ignore the nativeLang and display the english interface.

If I encode the file in ANSI (Characters will not display correctly), the interface change as in the  nativeLang.xml but of course I don't want the characters to display as ASCII art :)

Any suggestion?

• Don HO

Don HO - 2005-12-07

No, your nativeLang.xml shouldn't be encoded in utf8. There won't be any problem to display your nativeLang.xml properly in any decent browser if you set "encoding" correctly. For example :
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="Big5" ?>
      will display traditional Chinese.

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

This can't be right. It should support UTF-8 or another Unicode method. I've tried and only ANSI nativeLang.xml works.

In fact, in Vietnam these day we are encouraging the use of Unicode in all applications. So every web pages or applications that display Vietnamese will be encoded in UTF-8 (like, vi.wikipedia.org)

Please support it.