2005-08-04
2012-10-08
  • marcvc

marcvc - 2005-08-04

Michael,

The following query:
    for $p in doc("PART.xml")//PART[P_PARTKEY < 20]
    for $ps in doc("PARTSUPP.xml")//PARTSUPP
    where $ps/PS_AVAILQTY = max(doc("PARTSUPP.xml")//PARTSUPP[PS_PARTKEY < $p/P_PARTKEY]/PS_AVAILQTY)
    order by $ps/PS_PARTKEY, $ps/PS_SUPPKEY, $p/P_PARTKEY
    return <match>{$p}{$ps}</match>
    In Saxon 8.5 it evaluates significantly slower compared to 8.4.
    Obviously this depends on the actual documents being queried, but for a given set in our environment approximately 600 ms compared to nearly 70 seconds.

If helpful, I can provide you a PART and PARTSUPP document.

Thanks,
    Marc

• Michael Kay

Michael Kay - 2005-08-04

Could you send me the source documents please?

I can't see anything in the query execution plans produced by 8.4 and 8.5 that would obviously account for this difference in performance: both appear to be doing a nested-loop join as one would expect. In fact, the 8.5 plan looks a bit better on the surface, for example it avoids sorting the argument of the max() function into document order.

The Saxon-SA8.5 plan uses a hash join, again as one would expect: it will be interesting (at least for me) to see what improvement this achieves.

Clearly there was no intention that in optimizing joins for Saxon-SA, there should be any performance regression in Saxon-B, and the join benchmarks that I ran didn't show any.

Michael Kay

• marcvc

marcvc - 2005-08-04

Sure, I'll provide you those xml documents.
      I'm going to email them to you as I'm not sure how to attach files to these sourceforge messages.

Regards,
      Marc

• Michael Kay

Michael Kay - 2005-08-05

Turns out to be a rare performance bug that was present in Saxon 8.4, but wasn't activated by this query (or any others that I've come across!) because the optimizer produced a slightly different execution plan.

I've logged the bug and provided a replacement for the MemoClosure module at

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1252878&group_id=29872&atid=397617