Menu

Associating a new code-completion file?

2004-12-22
2012-11-13
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi, and great program btw. :)

I am a SAP Developer, who is currently trying to add the ABAP programming language to Notepad++ . For those who doesn't know it ABAP is the programming language of SAP. (www.sap.com).

I have created a list of the words I want in the code-completion list in an alphabetic order in a file called abap.api in the plugings/APIs directory. I have also created an alpha-version of the syntax-highlighting (but still misses a way to make auto-indent), but here comes the question:

How do I tell Notepad++ to use the abap.api file as code-completion for the ABAP syntax mode?

• Don HO

Don HO - 2004-12-23

No, you can't (yet) associate the api file with the user define language.

However I'll "try" to implement it in the next release (I'm quit busy so I don't promise you that it will be in the next release).

Don

• Don HO

Don HO - 2005-01-28

This feature is implemented in v2.7 which was released a couple of days ago.

You shoud give the same name as your defined language name to your api file (Auto-completion file).

For example, the name of your defined language is "my toto lang". The api file should be named as "my toto lang.api" to make work Auto-Completion.

Don

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks .. would be much appreciated :)

• Nobody/Anonymous

Btw. could you add the possibility of adding predefined code patterns in the language descriptions as well.. An example for being able to describe a while-loop or a select-statement in some sort of BNF-syntax (perhaps in the same file or as the code completion):

<listname>Whileloop</listname>
      <stringtoadd>While <condition> Do <statement>;</stringtoadd>

<listname>Selectstatement</listname>
      <stringtoadd>select <selection> from <selection> where <condition>;</stringtoadd>

could produce a dropdown-list when choosing this "code pattern insertion":

"Whileloop"
      "Selectstatement"

When choosing for example Whileloop it would produce:

While <insert condition> Do
      <insertstatement>;

It would be really nice to have as a help to the programmer when learning a new language :)

Also it would be REALLY nice to be able to have auto-indention on user defined languages, as this would be easy to add, when the blocks is already described.. just as an option that can be switched on/off when defining a language.

Keep up the good work -- and I am looking forward to the next version.. hoping that some of these ideas make it !

• Don HO

Don HO - 2005-01-28

> Btw. could you add the possibility of adding predefined code patterns in the language descriptions as well.

It's done also in v2.7

Don

• Don HO

Don HO - 2005-01-28

>> Btw. could you add the possibility of adding predefined code patterns in the language descriptions as well.

> It's done also in v2.7

Oups!
          Sorry, I missunderstood what you mean.
          I removed the restriction for the api file in v2.7 - so you can give anything you want in this api file, but that's all I can offer.

Don
          Don