Menu

any chance for new RC Ready-for-Christmas;) ?

etc
2004-12-11
2013-04-03
  • etc

etc - 2004-12-11

d0c?
    g3rmz?
    santa?
    :)

• chammie

chammie - 2004-12-11

i hope so :Dhe said he was working on it but didnt saw him post for some time. oh well these days are holidays after all

• Vernon W.

Vernon W. - 2004-12-13

*hums*

All I want for Christmas is 1.0.

• d0c 54v4g3

d0c 54v4g3 - 2004-12-19

Yes, a new release is coming... and it has the following features and fixes (so far):

* d0c - Fixed the double-click on torrent error where the progress dialog would only be displayed once (req by aretecte)
      * d0c - Fixed an issue with the time not being displayed in the torrent progress dialog (req by sid32)
      * Bones - Added toggle toolbar function/menu option  (req by aretecte)
      * Bones - Added toggle tabs button on toolbar (req by aretecte)
      * apraxhren - Fixed a bug in progress dialog where colours were displayed incorrectly
      * d0c - Added right-click remove/add pages from the tab window (Details, Graph, Messages... etc)
      * d0c - Added peerid recognition for all versions of: eXeem, Shareaza, XBT, XanTorrent, BitSpirit, BitComet, Burst!, Experimental, TurboBT, TorrentTopia, BitBuddy, TorrenTres and re-wrote detection for Mainline
      * d0c - Added code to reset colours to default in prefs
      * d0c - Updated the Unicode support to support the utf-8 extension and different types of encoding via 'encoding' entry. Asian language now supported!
      * d0c - Added a 'Stopped' message to the p2pgauge when a torrent is stopped
      * d0c - Added the &no_peerid=1 flag to the announce string for tracker comptability
      * d0c - Fixed the error where there are two alternating torrent states for the same torrent

More news closer to the release of the new version...

d0c

• etc

etc - 2004-12-19

yay! thats great news d0c! :)
      i thought you quit - thank you for staying and doing the right thing!
      and thanks for the great christmas present :)

• Bombada

Bombada - 2004-12-20

:) nice, this year no more socks christmas present.
      thx M8s.

• Campervan

Campervan - 2004-12-22

Hey D0c, I'd like to re-enter my plea for an option that lets me go back and reseed all my torrents for a set time, after all my torrents are done.
      It would be an option under keep seeding unless other downloads are in queues.

Basically I would be able to  download all my torrents over night and then it would automaticlly go back to the first torrents and seed for x minutes or untill I've seeded 1.5:1..etc..

Sid32

• fadetoblack

fadetoblack - 2004-12-22

* d0c - Added peerid recognition for all versions of: eXeem, Shareaza, XBT, XanTorrent, BitSpirit, BitComet, Burst!, Experimental, TurboBT, TorrentTopia, BitBuddy, TorrenTres and re-wrote detection for Mainline

Sounds good...what about spoofing as those clients?

Also something I find annoying..don't know if this has already been posted..

When I put a torrent on pause, If no other torrents are currently active (ie. Not stopped) G3 will start that torrent again and run through the whole checking routine, which gets annoying especially with large torrents. Seeing as I have only just paused the torrent if it is going to do this couldn't it remember how much of the torrent is downloaded or even better just pause until i want to continue downloading/seeding with that torrent.

• tipsypenguin

tipsypenguin - 2004-12-22

please also update the current spoofing clients to the current versions.  Loki has banned all older client versions.

• etc

etc - 2005-01-02

sooo... wassup? :P

• d0c 54v4g3

d0c 54v4g3 - 2005-01-03

Sorry for the delay in responding to this...

Yep a new version is on its way, but there have been a few big changes to the client.  The first and probably the major one is the name.  I and a few other developers decided to fork the current version of g3 to create a new client called BitMagnet.

The next big change is that all of the leeching and spoofing features have been removed.  This is to create a clean client that won't get banned by trackers and will be accepted by the BitTorrent community.

This acceptance will come at a price... I have added a 3kb minimum global upload which is in-line with other torrent clients and I have rewritten the g3 "on completion" options so that you have to at least upload 1:1 and cannot 'hit and run'.

BitMagnet is being hosted on sourceforge and we are hoping to release beta Linux and Win32 versions over the next week or two.  The homepage should be up and running by next weekend and downloads will be available from there (look in my user details for a link).  I'll announce this again in a separate thread next week when the downloads are available.

Hopefully I haven't put too many noses out of joint with my plans, but if I have - so be it.

d0c

• Bombada

Bombada - 2005-01-03

If you do this change it not going to be g3 any more,
      but i going to test it.
      If the download rate ok, i will use it.

• tipsypenguin

tipsypenguin - 2005-01-03

If you consider leaving in the "on completion" options or at least letting you set an amount of time to seed like ABC then I will switch.  That is the main reason I use G3. 
      I'm not always able to seed 1:1 as soon as I compleate.  Sometimes I have to go back and seed later.  I don't have the big upload speeds so I can only have 1 download going at a time if I want to get respecitable download speeds. 

• LeoXV

LeoXV - 2005-01-03

• etc

etc - 2005-01-03

hahahah omg now thats funny =D
      azureus is banned - long live g3 lol

• Vernon W.

Vernon W. - 2005-01-03

The on-completion and "leeching" options are being removed? That is why I use G3 in the first place ... because it is flexible ... I know which needs to be seeded and which doesn't. It is the tracker's job to make sure people have an incentive to seed ... not the client's. Aside from choker options, the client should give features, not enforce what the devs think is the correct P2P etiquitte. I've enjoyed G3 very much, but I feel many G3 users will be disappointed that G3 is becoming like every other client out there.

• glorfbagle

glorfbagle - 2005-01-04

well doc, i won't be using your new bitmagnet program, but thank you for all the work you've done on g3.

• Benny

Benny - 2005-01-04

I'm sorry to say, but bitmagnet is doomed before it start's. There is already one G3 clone out there ( who isent nearly as populair as G3 ), and this attempt at making it a "legit" client, will only make bitmagnet/g3 j.a.b.c ( Just Another Bittorrent Client ).

If people have a choice, the will opt for azureus before using bitmagnet/g3 becouse it's more developed. The main reason people use G3 is becouse it's versile. It lets the end user deside on exactly how many kb he wants to upload at xx time, and how many at yy time, widout getting bugged down to a fixed limit. Same with seeding ... like hell i'm going to help seed a tv torrent that already has 900 seed's ... with the supposed bitmagnet, the choice is gone. Then the answer is simple, so is bitmagnet in my eye's. No thanks, i'll stick with G3.

Why has G3 becouse so know, and rather populair??? Becouse it set's itself aside from the other clients.

These day's, ya do need to wonder about the client developers vs the trackers. There are more & more trackers that ban almost every version of clients, up to the point, that the trackers become seedless. But no!, that's the community's fault, so they add a 1 on 1 rule to keep things going, whit even less people at it. This is where options like spoofing come in. Hell, even azureus, the genius child loved by all trackers these day's needs a spoofing pluging. To me, this simbolyses the bad way the community is going.

Let me give a silly example. I know a few anime release groups, the started on irc, but then later added torrents as a option. The funny part is, a few of those groups shut down there torrents, becouse "to many leechers", and people need to get it from irc. Now, if you know, that they have several bot's who do nothing else then feed the leechers on irc, isent that a bit counter productive. To me, all the groups need to set there bot's as active seed on torrents, becouse torrents is where people share, irc downloads in general is where people only leech.

I really wonder what people sometime's are thinking ... just as i wonder what the hell dOc is thinking with that so called "legit" client. G3 is as legit as any other client in my eye's, just with less restrictions. Make it more restrictive, well, most people here wont bother with your client d0c. And that's the truth.

• Teloriun

Teloriun - 2005-01-04

....i'll be trying out your new client d0c.  Sounds like it might be my cup of tea. 

As for losing people...well that's what humans are good at....making up their own minds and having their own opinions and decisions.

To all those that are going to stick with G3, good luck to u...let's hope someone actually stays and updates the code...otherwise, its gona get banned not because its a "leech client" (which in my opinion is the user and not the client but hey, its my opinion) but because the code will be out of date and some spangly new tracker dooberywatsit is required.

More choice for torrent users, the better.  Some like options galore, some like pretty...but most of all - people like choice.  Happy torrenting :)

• Campervan

Campervan - 2005-01-04

What a bitchy post we are getting.. Lets wait to we see how the new client works before we declare it dead.

The truth is that their are so many different clients that no on will ever get the majority of users and that shouldn't be ones goal.

People will use whatever client fits their needs the best. G3 fits mine perfectly, so I use it. But the truth is that it needs some updating and will need to be brough up to Bram's 4.0, when it is released.

Now, any client can be a leeching client, and people not sharing is still a problem. I don't think the solution is force them to do it, but in educating them to do it.

Anyhow, I hate to see all this bitching about G3. At least someone is updating it. If you dont like what happens to it, then use the version you have now. Or pick a different client. If you have things you want to be included then ask for them and explain why..

Sid32