Menu

license creep

2003-11-28
2004-04-24
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Supporting packages you listed as required are GPL'ed. This essentially GPLs your code if it is truly dependent. The libraries in question are the CERN libraries. Your BSD license is invalid for comercial development. This is really too bad, but we can't use your software.

:(

• Scott White

Scott White - 2003-11-28

I'm not sure that is correct. As far as I can tell the Cern colt libraries that we use are not GPL'ed. CAn you point me to where you read this?

scott

• D. Fisher

D. Fisher - 2003-11-28

Actually, it's only
        package edu.cornell.lassp.houle.RngPack
        that is GPL'd according to
        http://hoschek.home.cern.ch/hoschek/colt/V1.0.3/doc/index.html

Indeed, few of our packages use CERN COLT; you may be able to get away without it if you like.

• Scott White

Scott White - 2003-11-28

Actually I should just quote the license which states clearly it can be used for commerical purposes:
      Copyright  1999 CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research.
      Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell this software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. CERN makes no representations about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without expressed or implied warranty.

• Nobody/Anonymous

package corejava
      is marked NONCommercial

• Joshua O'Madadhain

As Danyel pointed out in November, only a few of our routines actually use COLT and the libraries that it depends on.  So if it is important to you that there be no question of your licensing status, you may be able to create a subset of JUNG that does not use COLT, but that nevertheless does everything that you need.

On the other hand, if using the COLT-related routines is important to you, perhaps you could contact the corejava developers and try to arrange something with them.  (Their license only says that anyone can use it non-commercially for free; it doesn't say that they won't agree to a different license under which you *can* use it commercially.)

In any event, corejava is a library that is used by a library that is used by our library, and we don't have any control over their licensing policy.  We are happy to work with you to help you to use JUNG, and we can even help you to produce a version of JUNG that doesn't use COLT.  But we have no plans to remove COLT from the main JUNG distribution.

Regards,

Joshua