2004-03-25
2004-06-04
  • Nobody/Anonymous

old windows notepad.  it sucks.

thanks

• Don HO

Don HO - 2004-04-07

What's your message?

is it "should do an registry input to replace the old windows notepad. it sucks." or
      "old windows notepad. it sucks." ?

Don

• yorn

yorn - 2004-04-12

I guess that you want to add a shortcut to the "contextmenu". I had tried some ways ,but I couldn't do it.
          Now I use an alternative method that add this shortcut to the "sendto" menu. If you have better way to do it, please let me know.
          thanks

yornway
                                                             2004-4-12

• Nobody/Anonymous

should replace windows notepad.  you're rocks & your notepad, too.

-khang

• Nobody/Anonymous

You can do a manual registry manipulation by editing the list of filetypes.
      Change all entries voor np-- to notepad++
      I did this and it works 80% of the time now.

• Nobody/Anonymous

For me on Win98 I renamed original Notepad.exe to eg Notepad.exe.org and copy all content from Notepad++ into windir where Notepad.exe.org is. Now rename Notepad++.exe to Notepad.exe and voila!
      It's not the most beautifull solution but it works, for as long Notepad++ delivers .txt associations - then I delete Notepad++ from Windir and put it in it's own dir :-)

• Don HO

Don HO - 2004-04-25

it's not really a good idea to move Notepad++ into another directory.

The intetion to name the program "Notepad++" was just to reveal its light weight, Notepad++ is more source editor than a simple notepad.

I'll try to do anyway the functionality to associate the file extensions.

Don

• Don HO

Don HO - 2004-05-11

Thanks to Mark Bryan Yu,
      we can have the Notepad++ shortcut on the contextmenu of Explorer by importing a, say "npp.reg", reg file. Here we go :

1. save the following text as "npp.reg" :
      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Notepad++\Command]
      @="D:\\WinAppz\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe \"%1\""

2. Modify "D:\\WinAppz\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe" in order to suit your npp path, then save it.

3. In the Explorer, right click on the file "npp.reg", then choose "Merge", et voila!

Don

• Mark Bryan Yu

Mark Bryan Yu - 2004-05-11

Just to remind you, modifying the registry should be done with caution. Make sure you know what you are doing before playing with the registry. Also make sure you back up the registry before playing with it.

Mark Bryan Yu

• Atomhrt

Atomhrt - 2004-05-11

What? You mean you can't just start removing things from it like I'm doing right n25637#!8b... LOST CONNECTION

• Mark Bryan Yu

Mark Bryan Yu - 2004-05-12

a slashdotter? :)

• Atomhrt

Atomhrt - 2004-05-12

Yeah. That's what happens when you spend wayyyy too much time on /.! :)

• Don HO

Don HO - 2004-05-18

Mark,

the reg key works fine, except when I choose several files to open from explorer. Do you have the remedy?

Thanx

Don

• Mark Bryan Yu

Mark Bryan Yu - 2004-06-03

What's the problem with choosing several files? I've tried  it in my PC (winXP).... i selected multiple file by holding down CTRL while selecting files.  Right-click and choose Notepad++ from the context menu... and Notepad++ opened all files with no problems.

• Don HO

Don HO - 2004-06-04

Yes, with Win2000 in my office it woks fine also.

However, I have the problem with Winxp at home:
      when I choose several files (CTRL + mouse click), let's say 5 files, then Right-click and choose Notepad++ from the context menu, there're 5 files opened in 5 launched instances of Notepad++ ! (each instance has one opened file)

On the other hand, if I choose the sendto->Notepad++ from the context menu, it works fine (5 opened files in one intance).

Any idea?

Don