Menu

Haicom HI-302E

GPS units
2003-12-12
2003-12-17
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi everybody;
    I just bought a GPS-Unit from Haicom; Model# HI-302E.
    But it just didn't work! What is my fault?!
    It's a pure cf-card gps-reciever with an optional external-antenna.
    I plugged it into my cf-slot (using zaurus sl5500g with sharp rom 3.1) and the "cf-card-mounted" icon appears. But the led didn't flash.
    So i got a loog at "cardctl status" and then i make a "cardctl resume".
    Nothing happens. First the status said [suspended] and after resume it said "[ready], [bat dead], bat low]".
    So can anybody help me please!!!
    Thx
    EffeX7

• Ralf Haselmeier

Ralf Haselmeier - 2003-12-12

what is the output of "cardctl config" (after resume)?
      Any message in the systems log  ?

• Nobody/Anonymous

After "cardctl resume", "cardctl config" said:

Vcc 3.3V Vpp1 0.0V Vpp2 0.0V
        interface type is "memory and I/O"
        irq 35 [exclusive] [level]
        Speaker output is enabled
        function 0:
          config base 0x00f8
            option 0x41 status 0x08 pin 0x00 copy 0x00
          io 0x56703f8-0x56703ff [8bit]

Thanks for your help; so far!
        Hope this may tell you anything!

• Ralf Haselmeier

Ralf Haselmeier - 2003-12-13

That looks good.
          Are there any new messages in the syslog ?
          (after this config I would expect something like
          "ttyS0n at port 0x56700400 (irq = 35) is xxxxxx/xxx " and then it should work on /dev/ttySn).

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hey ... I don't know why, but something is happening!
            Here what i've done:
            1. plug in cf-gps-reciever
            2. open command console
            3. type "cardctl resume"
            4. starting qpegps via console

now the red light is flashing (on the gps-unit). But qpegps still said, that there is no gps-unit connected (at starting); but then the GPS-fild of the program turns from red to green, but no data (exept ???) where displayed in it. The GMT also shows a time, but  also in red. And the led on the gps-unit won't stop flashing ...
            Oh ... I also turned from /dev/ttyS0 to ttyS3 :)

So ... but what's wrong now; does this just mean, that the gps-unit can't get a connection to the sattelite?! It's a very rainy, cloudy day today, so mayby that's teh reason?!

Thanks for your help so far!

ps: r you from germany?! (your name sound like)

EffeX7

• Ralf Haselmeier

Ralf Haselmeier - 2003-12-14

That means, that you have a connection to gpsd but there is no valid data from the GPS. The ??? should turn to the identifier of your GPS unit (e.g. GRM if you use a unit from Garmin) but some CF-GPS do not send any identifier so it stays on ??? (e.g. my CF-GPS from IO-Data).
              First you should check, if your unit is sending any NMEA data (cat /dev/ttyS3 in the terminal should show something like "GPRMC followed by someNumbers").
              If it shows this sentences but you still have a wrong date => go outside until you get a valid position fix (probably the date will get correct first and then the GPS is searching for more satellites until it finds at least four=>this can take very long until you get your very first position fix and will be much faster after that).
              If it's sending nothing, then your CF-GPS may be not connected (to ttyS3) or is sleeping... .
              If you get some crazy output (something binary) then the unit is probably in SIRF mode instead of
              NMEA mode (use another SW to switch it to the NMEA (=default) mode; qcfgps can do a factory reset and you may try zGPS which can handle SIRF).
              If it's neither NMEA nor SIRF (like the Pretec CF-GPS LP): sorry, there is currently no way to get it running.

• Nobody/Anonymous

ok, so far so good :)
                All the device needed was some time, to get a fixed position (and a "sky-view" :)
                But I still got one little problem ... sry (thx for your help so far).
                Sometimes it works and sometimes it won't work, doing the same steps!
                I mean sometimes i plug it in, making cardctl resume, starting qpegps and it works! Another moment i plug it in, make a cardctl resume and starting qpegps and nothing happend?!
                I mean r there any other conditions, i have to be comforme with?!

But if it works, its great :)

Ok, thanks a lot again!
                EffeX7

• Ralf Haselmeier

Ralf Haselmeier - 2003-12-14

This could be a problem with the gpsd.
                  please try:
                  killall gpsd
                  cardctl resume
                  start qpegps and then you will have to click on "Retry" in the appearing dialog.
                  (the handling of resume-restart gpsd needs some improvement, this should work automatically...)

• Peter Smith

Peter Smith - 2003-12-15

When you run it from the commandline does it display any text? at what point does it appear to freeze.

you should get either "card ready" or "executing cardctl resume" depending on the status of the card.

the next line will be either "port settings ok" or "executing stty" if you do not get this line then it is hanging doing the following command :-

"SPEED=`stty < /dev/ttyS3 | grep 4800 | wc -l`;"

my card (haicom 303 mf) hangs here every time, unless I have just rebooted. So I commented this piece of code out and re-compiled it.

The workaround (without a re-compile) is to set the card to ttys0 so it will not run the above code, then once it is loaded change it to ttys3 in the gps screen, and it wil restart gpsd.  change it back to  ttys0 before you exit, or it will hang again when you next run qpegps.

if this works then please let me know.

Peter

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-12-15

@zbones
                  Ok, thanks a lot; that seems to work!
                  All I need now is patience :)
                  Sometimes it takes a long time to lock up with the sats; but thats ok :)

Thank you everybody!!!!

Great Forum!!!

EffeX7

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-12-15

right after my posting it didn't work again!
                  There is NO gpsd running!!
                  I luged the card in; cardctl resume; qpegps; change to ttyS3

Nothing! I tried it again and again; nothing?!
                  Maybe the gps-reciever is broken?! I mean how can it be, that it work sometime and just 30 minutes later ... nothing?!

If it workes the following happens:
                  I plug the card in and the led makes one flash.
                  after cardctl resume it starts flashing all the time and qpegps (gpsd) is recieving data from ttyS3.
                  If it doesn't work there is no "one time flashing" when i plug the card in??!!

Pls ... help again; or could it be, that the card is just broken; i have no problems with my wlan-card or cf-memory-cards!

Thanks again

EffeX7

• Peter Smith

Peter Smith - 2003-12-16

what exactly happens when it doesn't work?
                    it doesn't flash when you plug it in.
                    Does it "wake up" when you issue a cardctl resume, and start flashing?

Is it recogised in the applet on the taskbar?

Is the light just on solid.

MY card is a different model, but this is it's sequence.

plug it in, brief flash.
                    cardctl resume, the led will turn on solid.
                    when a lock is achieved the led starts flashing.

While it is solid, qpegps will still connect, and show any satelites it can see, but no co-ordinates are given.

sometimes it can take 5 minutes or more to get a lock, useually it does this within 5 seconds of power up.

what version of qpegps are running?
                    Peter.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-12-16

Here my system-settings:
                      SharpRom 3.13
                      qpegps v0.9.1

Normaly it should go this way:
                      plug card in; short flash of led; cardctl resume; continius flashing; starting qpegps; waiting until i get a lock; no more flashing (led is continios on)

If it dond't work, there r 2 ways:
                      plug card in; no led reaction in any way; cardctl resume; no reaction; qpegps; no data; nothing happens
                      OR
                      plug card in; very short led flash (shorter than the "working flash"); same steps and still no data

In every scenario there is no gpsd running, when i plug the card in!

Thx

EffeX7

• Nobody/Anonymous

Ok, it seems like the problem is located!
                      It's just time!
                      Sometimes the led starts flashing right after cardctl resume
                      and sometimes it takes some time (a minute)!
                      Ok

Thanks again!!!
                      EffeX7

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-12-15

one more thing:

I inserted the card; made a cardctl resume; started qpegps / gpsd on ttyS3.
                  As I told you: nothing ... but if I trie to eject the card, he said device is busy. That means there is a connection betwen gpsd and the reciever but somehow it wont get data from the sat ... won't even trie?!

OK, so far

EffeX7

• Nobody/Anonymous

Ok, its working now; i don't know what i've done i didn't before, but it works!
            So, here's what i've done:
            1. plug in card
            2. "cardctl resume" in console
            3. starting qpegps via console (changing device to ttyS3)

I'm very sure, if done it that way before, but ok, now it works!

But nothing exept led flashing is happening! qpegps dond't display a valid gps-unit; the field changed from red to green, but still ??? is displayed.
            Same with gmt. There is a (completely false) time displayed, and it's still red!
            Some graphs r drawing, but no position is displayed (0/0)
            So, what's wrong now?!

Thanks for helping so far!!
            EffeX7

ps: r u from germay, cause your name sounds like!

• Nobody/Anonymous

Ok, its working now; i don't know what i've done i didn't before, but it works!
      So, here's what i've done:
      1. plug in card
      2. "cardctl resume" in console
      3. starting qpegps via console (changing device to ttyS3)

I'm very sure, if done it that way before, but ok, now it works!

But nothing exept led flashing is happening! qpegps dond't display a valid gps-unit; the field changed from red to green, but still ??? is displayed.
      Same with gmt. There is a (completely false) time displayed, and it's still red!
      Some graphs r drawing, but no position is displayed (0/0)
      So, what's wrong now?!

Thanks for helping so far!!
      EffeX7

ps: r u from germay, cause your name sounds like!