Menu

File Selection on Batch Import

2009-02-01
2013-05-28
  • Colon Grease

Colon Grease - 2009-02-01

Please see "Automatic Metadata ... " post for my application, but I am currently uploading many references simultaneously, and need a way to upload files for each easily.

Currently, the best way for me to batch import multiple files is to concatenate or copy/paste all RIS citations into the import window to effect a batch import. One the following screen I get a list of references that I have just added, but in order to add a pdf, i have to go through several screens. In order to add another pdf to one of say, twenty, pdfs I've uploaded, I either have to hit 'back' just the right amount of times or attempt to locate the record in the complete library.

Is there any way that after adding a file to a reference after a batch import, it could return me to the screen with the list of references. Alternatively, if I could specify a file for the reference via the same "Add File" box from the abbreviated entry screen (that shows all the references I uploaded via batch import), the process would be simplified immensely. This seems fairly straightforward, but what do I know...

Thanks!

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Colin,

> I am currently uploading many references simultaneously, and need a
      > way to upload files for each easily.

Just to repeat a previous suggestion: If your PDFs have a systematic naming scheme (or could be auto-processed so that the names follow a common scheme), then you could upload your PDFs directly to your server's web directory (via FTP/SSH). If the naming scheme could be inferred from the RIS metadata, you could then add the file names to the appropriate records via a single SQL batch update command.

> Currently, the best way for me to batch import multiple files is to
      > concatenate or copy/paste all RIS citations into the import window
      > to effect a batch import. One the following screen I get a list of
      > references that I have just added, but in order to add a pdf, i have
      > to go through several screens. In order to add another pdf to one of
      > say, twenty, pdfs I've uploaded, I either have to hit 'back' just
      > the right amount of times or attempt to locate the record in the
      > complete library.

Which refbase version are you using? If you're still using refbase-0.9.0, then I may understand your issue. However, with refbase-0.9.5 we've introduced measures that should significantly ease your task.

Using refbase-0.9.5 you can do this:

1. Batch import your records as usual

2. In the resulting list of imported records, directly click the "edit record" link (the pencil icon) and edit your record as necessary (attach PDF etc). Then click the "Save Changes" button.

3. In refbase-0.9.5, this will now bring you back again *right* to the list of imported records.

I.e., you shouldn't need to go back several steps. Instead, you get back right to where you came from!

Alternatively, if you want to inspect record details first, you could do this:

1. Batch import your records as usual

2. In the resulting list of imported records, click the "show details" link (the magnifying glass icon). The record will be displayed in Details view. Then click the "edit record" link, edit your record, click the "Save Changes" button.

3. In refbase-0.9.5, you'll now get back directly to the Details view for that record. In addition (and this is the important bit), there's a link in the header which says "Display previous search results". Click this link and you're again back to your list of imported records.

Again, no need to move backwards.

> Is there any way that after adding a file to a reference after a
      > batch import, it could return me to the screen with the list of
      > references.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this is exactly how it is done in refbase-0.9.5 (and as I've described in my first list of steps above). You can try it out here:

http://demo.refbase.net/

Let me know if this is not what you're getting. And if you're still using refbase-0.9.0, I urge you to upgrade to the latest release.

HTH, Matthias

• Colon Grease

Fantastic. Thanks. I'll upgrade to 0.9.5 and make it happen. I haven't checked upgrade instructions, but I'm hoping it's painless.

Thanks for the quick, helpful responses.

• Colon Grease

Oh, and the problem with naming conventions is that I'd then be asking every user to both rename all of their pdfs and then adhere to a similar naming convention. I've been doing the admin thing for long enough with scientists to know that is not going to happen.