Menu

Great start

2007-01-30
2013-04-19
  • starman jones

starman jones - 2007-01-30

I've been looking for an app like this for a long time.  More practical than rockbox and linux-ipod.  However, you lose ability to search for music on your ipod; all albums appear as playlists.  Is there no way to parse the ID3 info and put that into the itunes database?  So you can find music by album, artist, etc.?

• t2k269

t2k269 - 2007-01-30

Thank you very much for your suggestion!

First of all, I would like to explain the original purpose of this application.

All the music and video file in my iPod was found from the internet, basically all of them have simplified chinese ID3 info. But my locale is traditional chinese, all ID3 info becomes disordered codes (??@$!?#). For this reason, I think that if the info in the filename can be parsed as artist, album and title which will be suitable for solving my problem, and my program will fill those info into your iPod. The filename format is:

[artist - [album - ]]title.[mp3|mov|mp4]

That means hypen "-" will be reserved.

After I posted this program to sourceforget.net, my idea is starting to change. It is because I think that my program is not just designed for myself. I have tried to use ID3lib to retrieve the information from the media file or correct the ID3 info in the media file before adding them to the iPod.... But I have no solution yet.

• starman jones

starman jones - 2007-02-01

Oh.  It is not practical to change 100's of gigabytes of music to a special filename format.  Most collectors save their music in "artist folder/album name/track-title.mp3" format. 

The answer is to get ID3lib to work.  Then this would be a killer application!  No need to use software like Anapod, etc. to get around the kludgy Itunes.

Also, it seems Itunes will sometimes try to suck all the mp3's from the Sync directory back into the ipod_control directory.  This has happened to me once and messes up the database.

I really like the direction you are headed, good luck!

• t2k269

t2k269 - 2007-02-02

I have already a solution. (The simplest solution)

As you may know my program uses the files in "Sync" folder to build the database, and I will add another folder to have the same function later, called "My Media" or "My Music". The difference between the two folders will be:

Sync folder: Build the database based on the filename. (the same as now)
      My Media folder: Build the database based on ID3 tags.

I think this solution must fulfil your requirement.

In addition, I may release a version which supports photos before implementing the above solution, so please wait...

• Nobody/Anonymous

Now you are talking.  I will give the "my media" a try.  Must have gotten ID3lib to work!

• t2k269

t2k269 - 2007-02-08

Please name your folder as "My Media" (may be case sensitive).

My program will just consider the artist, album and title information in your media. All other tags will be ignored.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I am getting the following error message

iTunesDBBuilder version v0
      Gattering the existing medias information...
      Not support iTunesDB with version 1.20!
      Invalid iPod firmware version!

Which version of firmware does it support.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Please update your program to v0.7.1. It supports iTunesDB version 1.20.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi maybe this question is a lil off topic and is way too simple for all you programming gurus, but how do i clear my ipod database, because i keep loading the songs up but i cant take any of the playlists off, they keep showing up....Thanx in advance.....