This is an official mirror of FreeCAD. Code and release files are primarily hosted on https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD and mirrored here.

FreeCAD is a general purpose feature-based, parametric 3D modeler for CAD, MCAD, CAx, CAE and PLM, aimed directly at mechanical engineering and product design but also fits a wider range of uses in engineering, such as architecture or other engineering specialties. It is 100% Open Source and extremely modular, allowing for very advanced extension and customization.

FreeCAD is based on OpenCasCade, a powerful geometry kernel, features an Open Inventor-compliant 3D scene representation model provided by the Coin 3D library, and a broad Python API. The interface is built with Qt. FreeCAD runs exactly the same way on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux platforms.

Features

• Rock-solid OpenCasCade-based geometry kernel, allowing complex 3D operations on complex shape types, and supports natively concepts like brep, nurbs, booleans operations or fillets
  • Full parametric model allowing any type of parameter-driven custom objects, that can even be fully programmed in python
  • Complete access from python built-in interpreter, macros or external scripts to almost any part of FreeCAD, being geometry creation and transformation, the 2D or 3D representation of that geometry (scenegraph) or even the FreeCAD interface

Project Samples

Project Activity

See All Activity >

License

GNU Library or Lesser General Public License version 2.0 (LGPLv2)

Follow FreeCAD

FreeCAD Web Site

Other Useful Business Software
Gain insights and build data-powered applications Icon
Gain insights and build data-powered applications

Your unified business intelligence platform. Self-service. Governed. Embedded.

Chat with your business data with Looker. More than just a modern business intelligence platform, you can turn to Looker for self-service or governed BI, build your own custom applications with trusted metrics, or even bring Looker modeling to your existing BI environment.
Rate This Project
Login To Rate This Project

User Ratings

★★★★★
★★★★
★★★
★★
ease 1 of 5 2 of 5 3 of 5 4 of 5 5 of 5 2 / 5
features 1 of 5 2 of 5 3 of 5 4 of 5 5 of 5 3 / 5
design 1 of 5 2 of 5 3 of 5 4 of 5 5 of 5 3 / 5
support 1 of 5 2 of 5 3 of 5 4 of 5 5 of 5 3 / 5

User Reviews

• FreeCAD has long been a critical tool for me. I employ FreeCAD in a CAD to CAM role to acquire gcode for CNC milling and 3D printing. From FreeCAD16 to FreeCAD18 it has been used on various projects ranging including brass plate engraving, fishing lure creation, retro-design on a multiple barrel gatlin-gun, CNC driven ventilators, brushless DC hub wheel motors, etc. But with the introduction of FreeCAD19 and its upgrade to FreeCAD20, it has become totally useless. There is no clean upgrade path. Bottom-line is does not deliver. I am heading back to FreeCAD18 and keeping my head in the sand.
  • Good
  • Thank you very much for the program! Thank you for distributing it under a free open source license!
  • I'm using version 0.19. Get it from github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD. I've found freecad to be as powerful as the costy packages out there, and it's open source. You can compile it (I have) and you can add in plugins as well. I gave it a 4 out of 5 for ease because it's too powerful to be easy, although the tutorials on youtube really go far in smoothing the learning curve. I've designed very complex gear systems after only a couple of days of playing. I now design things, export to stl files, and then 3d printed them. Such freedom!
  • Excellent program for the design of buildings and structures. Thanks to the author of the project!
Read more reviews >

Additional Project Details

Operating Systems

MinGW/MSYS2, Linux, BSD, Windows

Languages

Croatian, French, Dutch, Italian, English, Portuguese, Swedish, Chinese (Simplified), German, Japanese, Spanish, Russian

Intended Audience

Advanced End Users, Developers, End Users/Desktop

User Interface

X Window System (X11), Win32 (MS Windows), Qt

Programming Language

Python, C++

Related Categories

Python 3D Modeling Software, Python CAD Software, Python Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) Software, C++ 3D Modeling Software, C++ CAD Software, C++ Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) Software

Registered

2002-03-17