Airfoil optimization using the highly-regarded XFoil engine for aerodynamic calculations. Starting with a seed airfoil, XoptFoil uses Particle Swarm and direct search methodologies to perturb the geometry and maximize performance. The user selects a number of operating points over which to optimize, desired constraints, and the optimizer does the rest.
- Supports up to 30 operating points during optimization and multiple user-defined constraints
- Each operating point has a specified lift coefficient or angle of attack, Reynolds number, Mach number
- Each operating point is assigned a relative weight (importance) by the user
- Available constraints include thickness, pitching moment, and trailing edge wedge angle
- Currently included optimization algorithms: Particle Swarm and Nelder-Mead Simplex algorithm
- The optimizer is robust: many checks for reasonable geometry and XFoil convergence in place
- Parallel version now available
- XFoil engine accurately predicts transition, separation bubbles, and stall at low Reynolds numbers
Be the first to post a review of XoptFoil!