TraceMAC is a Windows/Linux command-line tool that allows you to trace a specific MAC address thru Cisco switches.
It works by connecting to a switch using SSH, SNMP, Telnet, HTTP or HTTPS and do some "show commands" and later process the output, this will happen recursively until it finds the switch where that MAC address (PC/Printer/Etc) is directly connected.
Note: It works with Cisco switches only and you must have CDP enabled at least on trunks/links between switches!
Tested with Cisco SW: 2960, 3560, 3750, 4948, 6509, Express 500
- Supports multiple protocols: SSH, SNMP v1/2c/3, Telnet, HTTP, HTTPS
- Has no limit for the maximum number of hops identified in the path
- Does not require a source MAC address
- Can search directly the MAC address or its IP Address/Hostname
- Can use a external device: Cisco Ro/L3 SW/PIX/ASA or Linux machine; for MAC lookup
- Is showing the interface description where the MAC was found
- Support for Linux and Windows
Be the first to post a review of TraceMAC - Traceroute for MAC addresses!