Noteworthy changes in release 4.7
* Changes in behavior
* strace no longer suspends waitpid until there is a child
for waitpid'ing process to collect status from.
* strace no longer detaches from a tracee which is supposed
to be going to die.
* strace now issues a new message: "+++ exited with EXITCODE +++"
which shows exact moment strace got exit notification,
analogous to existing "+++ killed by SIG +++" message.
* Added x32 personality support (x86_64 architecture).
* Added -y and -P options to print file descriptor paths and
filter by those paths.
* Added -I option to control strace interactivity.
* Allowed -p option to take comma or whitespace-separated list of PIDs.
* Added strace_log_merge script helper to merge timestamped "strace -ff"
* Implemented decoding of clock_adjtime, get_robust_list, migrate_pages,
preadv, prlimit64, process_vm_readv, process_vm_writev, pwritev,
recvmmsg, recvmsg, rt_tgsigqueueinfo, sendmmsg, setns, set_robust_list,
sched_rr_get_interval, splice, syslog, tee and vmsplice syscalls.
* Enhanced decoding of capget, capset, getrlimit, flistxattr, io_submit,
listxattr, setrlimit and swapon syscalls.
* Implemented decoding of loop and mtd ioctls.
* Added syscall entries for new linux syscalls.
* Added syscall entries for direct socket system calls on powerpc.
* Updated the list of errno constants.
* Updated lists of MSG_*, STA_*, and TCP_* constants.
* Regenerated the list of ioctl names from Linux 3.3.
* Enhanced switching between processes with different personalities.
* Enhanced signals reporting by using short signal names.
* Made ERESTART* messages more descriptive.
* Made parsing of numbers from strings more robust.
* Added support for compat_statfs64 and statfs64.f_flags.
* Changed read of data blocks to use single process_vm_readv syscall
(when available) instead of several PTRACE_PEEKDATA operations.
* Changed read of registers on x86 and x86-64 to use single PTRACE_GETREGS
operation instead of several PTRACE_PEEKUSER operations.
* Applied various optimizations to make strace work faster.
* Bug fixes
* Implemented proper handling of real SIGTRAPs on kernels supporting
(Addresses Fedora bug #162774).
* Fixed sockaddr_un.sun_path name in decoded output.
(Addresses Debian bug #554946).
* Fixed to avoid potential core file clobbering on exit.
(Addresses Debian bug #656398).
* Fixed a typo in documentation.
(Addresses Debian bug #653309).
* Fixed decoding of timer id returned by timer_create.
* Fixed epoll_create1, epoll_wait and epoll_pwait decoding.
* Fixed *at syscalls flags decoding.
* Fixed ARM EABI 64-bit syscall's arguments decoding.
* Fixed semtimedop decoding on s390.
* Fixed osf_sigprocmask decoding on alpha.
* Fixed ipc and socket subcall decoding on several architectures.
* Corrected syscall entries for epoll_pwait, epoll_create, epoll_ctl,
epoll_wait, mincore, mlockall, prctl, reboot, sendfile, sendfile64,
sendmsg, sgetmask, ssetmask, swapon, tgkill and tkill syscalls.
* Corrected io_* syscall entries on ARM.
* Fixed PID prefix printing in "strace -oLOG -ff -p1 -p2 -p3" case.
* Fixed logging of unfinished lines in "strace -oLOG -ff" case.
* Fixed build when libaio-devel is not available.
* Fixed configure checks for PTRACE_* constants.
* Fixed compilation warnings remained on several architectures.
* Removed all non-Linux code. After years of neglect, that dead code
just hampered further strace development.
* Linux kernel >= 2.6.18 is recommended. Older versions might still
work but they haven't been thoroughly tested with this release.