7-Zip for 32-bit Windows:

http://dl.7-zip.org/7z920.07.exe
    or
    http://dl.7-zip.org/7z920.07.msi

7-Zip for 64-bit Windows x64:

http://dl.7-zip.org/7z920.07-x64.msi

What's new:

- 7-Zip now can unpack UEFI BIOS files.
    - 64-bit version of 7-Zip now includes additional 32-bit shell extension DLL.
      So other 32-bit programs can call 64-bit 7-Zip via context menu.
    - Now it's possible to associate 7-Zip with file types without Administrator rights.
    - New -mf=FilterID switch to specify compression filter. Examples:
        7z a -mf=bcj2 a.7z a.tar
        7z a -mf=delta:4 a.7z a.wav
        7z a -mf=bcj a.tar.xz a.tar
    - There are some changes in LZMA settings for BCJ2 filter.
      So compression ratio now is slightly improved for executable files in -mx9 mode for .7z format.
    - Some bugs were fixed.
    - New localizations: Corsican, Kyrgyz, Ligurian.

What's new in latest alpha update:
    - 7-Zip now supports extended timestamp range in TAR archives (dates before 1970).
    - There are some changes in code that creates temp files and temp folders.

If you see some new bugs, please write here.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-03-13

Opening broken rar archive cause file manager to close immediatly with following message

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program: D:\7z\7zFM.exe
    This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

While chosing OpenInside option throws warning

7-Zip
    Unexpected end of archive
    [Rar] C:\1.rar

and display archive contents.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-03-13

This behavior where introduced in 9.18 beta,
    before 9.20.7 error message where different.
    System is windows somewhat xp sp3

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2011-03-13

Upload bad archive for me.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-03-13

• Nuwen

Nuwen - 2011-03-14

New -mf=FilterID switch to specify compression filter.

I have files that strongly benefit from BCJ2, but their extension (.a) isn't on the list of extensions that BCJ2 is automatically applied to (.dll .exe .ocx .sfx .sys). (I determined that BCJ2 is really good for these files by renaming *.a to *.exe) Questions:

1. Does "-mf=bcj2" force BCJ2 to be used for files regardless of their extensions? (It appears from your example that the answer is "yes".)

2. If I run "7z a" twice, first excluding *.dll *.exe etc. and *.a, and then specifying BCJ2 (with this new switch) and including only those extensions, will that result in optimal compression? I believe that the answer is "yes", because it appears that running "7z a" once, to compress all files, creates two solid blocks (one for non-executables and another for executables).

3. Is there a way to control which extensions BCJ2 is automatically applied to? (After reading the documentation, I believe the answer is "no".)

4. Would it be possible to add a way to control which extensions BCJ2 is automatically applied to?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-03-14

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2011-03-14

1) yes.
    2) in most cases it's optimal.
    3) only via source code
    4) what extensions do you need (and what file format they are)?

• Nuwen

Nuwen - 2011-03-14

Thanks for the info. The extensions I'm interested in are .o and .a which are GCC's object and library files. They contain executable code before it undergoes linking, so anything that's good for EXEs/DLLs should be good for them too. MSVC's .obj and .lib files would behave the same.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2011-03-14

No, x86 filter doesn't help for .obj files.
    BCJ filters transtale addresses in CALL commands (E8 ** ** ** **).
    But  .obj file contain zeros ( E8 00 00 00).
    So compression ratio with BCJ filter is worse that without filter for such files.

• Nuwen

Nuwen - 2011-03-14

Hmm. I suppose the benefits I'm seeing are coming from lumping these .a files into the same solid block as EXEs which share their code - the gains from being in the same solid block must outweigh the penalties for using BCJ on object code. (I tried turning off BCJ entirely, which produced worse compression.)

Now I understand why the list of extensions is hardcoded. I agree that in general it shouldn't be extended to object/library files. The new switch will work fine for my very specific case, thanks!

• swapps

swapps - 2011-03-14

Hi, you have again vorget archive and e-mail. It still does not work!!
    Tested with Windows Vista 32 bit Service pack 2. i think the same is on Windows 7.

• Yumeyao

Yumeyao - 2011-03-15

@nuwen,
    what I do is exactly same as yours. I do them in 2 ways:
    1. if there is few files on which I'd like to manually turn off/on bcj2 filter, I'll rename them with different extensions, then after that, I could rename the back in 7-zip GUI File Manager.
    2. if I only want to enable bcj2 filter on some files, I'll compress in 2 steps and use "-mf=bcj2" switch.
    I have been using this way for a very long time and I don't have any better solution.

@ipavlov,
    so would you consider making any change on this? I have some suggestions:

1. allows specific filter/method on specific file, for example:
    7z a archive.7z ppmd.txt/p lzma.c/l bcj2.exe/b
    further, in list file
    7z a archive.7z @list.txt

since "/" is reserved from being used in file name in windows, so this would not harm parsing the command.

Anyway you can't use such things in linux so I prefer the next way i introduced:

2. remain the sequence specified in @list and allow use compress intructions, for example:
    (a tab char here or something else)lzma
    readme.txt
    license.txt
    src\aaa.h
    src\aaa.c
    src\bbb.h
    src\bbb.c
    ……
    (a tab char here or something else)bcj2
    bin\aaa.exe
    bin\bbb.dll
    ……

This method also benefits in the way that readme.txt is placed at the start at the archive, so when some user downloaded your archive, before he/she extract the whole package, he/she may want to take a look at the readme file, this way he/she will need to wait almost no time to get the file.

• gizmecano

gizmecano - 2011-03-15

Hello,
    I have just installed the last release, but the files association is still not working (I have the administrator's rights): I only can use it  to open a directory with the 7-zip file manager, but not to open a file directly. Morevoer, all the files which are memorized and listed in the Start menu can not be opened using this method.

• Vacon

Vacon - 2011-03-15

Hello everyone,

saying

the files association is still not working (I have the administrator's rights)

is one part of the story. The other (and probably more interesting) part is:
    - how did you try to associate archives with 7-Zip? (step by step please)
    - are there any errormessages?
    - "but not to open a file directly" means…? Is there a context-menu? What happens if you use this?
    - which version of Windows (?) do you use?
    The more detailed a bug-report is, the easier it is to help out or hunt it down.

Best regards!

• gizmecano

gizmecano - 2011-03-15

Hello,

how did you try to associate archives with 7-Zip? (step by step please)

> Tools > Options > System > Adding Type by selecting "7-Zip" (no "") for me and All users > Apply

are there any errormessages?

No.

Is there a context-menu? What happens if you use this?

Yes, using "context menu" opened the archive, but icons are "defaut icon" and double click did not open the file.

which version of Windows (?) do you use?

Windows 7 64bts. The problem occured with the last release mentioned here (7z920.07-x64.msi).

By the way, I think that I corrected this problem: uninstalling then reinstalling the application seems solving the association issue. But now, I get two entries of 7-Zip in the "open with" menu (which appears on right click). The "defaut program" window also recommands two times "7-Zip File Manager" as the program to open a .7z extension.

I do not know if this is really a bug, but it surprises me because I always use 7-Zip no problem with Windows XP.

Thanks and regards.

• Vacon

Vacon - 2011-03-15

Hello everyone,

thank you for giving these details!
    Regarding the two "Open with…" entries:
    - you never had 32-version of 7-Zip installed on this machine?
    - do you use some (32-bit)filemanager besides Explorer?

- 64-bit version of 7-Zip now includes additional 32-bit shell extension DLL.
      So other 32-bit programs can call 64-bit 7-Zip via context menu.

Best regards!

• gizmecano

gizmecano - 2011-03-15

Hello,

- you never had 32-version of 7-Zip installed on this machine?

Yes, I first installed a 32 bits version of 7-Zip, but I uninstalled it when I saw my mistake, and I cleaned my registry with CCleaner: do you think that was not enough?

do you use some (32-bit)filemanager besides Explorer?

I do not think, but as my computer is new, maybe I have not seen a part of the factory configuration. Can you give me some examples of problematic applications?

Thanks and regards,

• gizmecano

gizmecano - 2011-03-16

Hello,

With the help of Vacon, I found the problem and I solved it. The 32 bts version was not uninstalled correctly and after a manual deletion of the folder, the "open with" menu no longer presents two different entries.

Thanks for your help.

• Vacon

Vacon - 2011-03-16

Hello everyone,

I only asked some little questions. The work was done by yourself. But you're welcome :-)

Best regards!

• gizmecano

gizmecano - 2011-03-16

Hello,

Right, but I did not thought that a first installation of the 32 bts version could have created the problem. I think it was not really a bug, but maybe the uninstallation process could be upgrade to avoid this issue. Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

• Skymmer

Skymmer - 2011-03-18

Good evening. Due the changes in BCJ2 filter in new alpha version, I want to conduct a fair comparison. But the problem is that I can't find the command line equivalent of  -mx9 preset. The closest thing which I was able to find is:

-m0=BCJ2 -m1=LZMA:d=64m:lc=3:fb=64:mf=bt4 -m2=LZMA:d=20:fb=64 -m3=LZMA:d=20:fb=64 -mb0:1 -mb0s1:2 -mb0s2:3

But the resulting archive is a little bit bigger than -mx9 one. The deal is that I want to compare not only the 7-zip versions but also some other archivers with lzma algo.
    Thanks in advance!

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2011-03-19

-m0=BCJ2 -m1=LZMA:d26:fb64 -m2=LZMA:d20:fb128:lc0:lp2 -m3=LZMA:d20:fb128:lc0:lp2 -mb0:1 -mb0s1:2 -mb0s2:3

• Skymmer

Skymmer - 2011-03-19

Thanks! Yes, its true for the 07 alpha but not for the stable 9.20 version. So I'm curious what was the command line equivalent for -mx9 in earlier versions ?

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2011-03-19

BCJ2 default switches in 7-Zip 9.20:
    -m0=BCJ2 -m1=LZMA:d26:fb64 -m2=LZMA:d20:fb64:mf=bt2 -m3=LZMA:d20:fb64:mf=bt2 -mb0:1 -mb0s1:2 -mb0s2:3

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)