Sakai is a vibrant community of academic institutions, commercial organizations and individuals who work together to develop a common Collaboration and Learning Environment (CLE). The Sakai CLE is a Java-based, service-oriented web application that caters to the needs of instructors and students with a variety of capabilities supporting teaching and learning, portfolios, research, and ad-hoc project collaboration.
Sakai provides forum discussion and private messaging. It also includes a message center that lets instructors set up moderated discussions. Sakai also includes drop boxes for student assignments and provision for inline inclusion or attachments using the Assignments tool. Students can create their own project sites and allow other students access, putting all Sakai tools (discussion, chat, calendar, file sharing, etc.) in reach of student groups to facilitate group activities.
- Announcements, used to inform site participants about current items of interest
- Drop Box allows instructors and students to share documents in a private folder for each participant
- All messages sent to a site's email address are stored in the Email Archive
- Share a variety of material securely with members of your site, or make them available to the public
- Chat Room allows for real-time conversations among site participants
- Instructors or site leaders can create an unlimited number of discussion forums
- Message Center allows site participants to communicate using internal course mail
- Schedule allows instructors or site organizers to post items in a calendar format
- Many teaching tools, including assignments, grade book, module editor, QTI authoring and assessment, section management, and syllabus
Thanks for Sakai, it's excellent!