System Composer is a utility for software developers that want to create well structured software products that are understood by all stakeholders from business to developer.
It allows to:
- Create System Maps to describe software products
- Decompose systems deeply
Also, it has some cool goodies:
- Image viewer for linked wireframes
- Track development progress
- Trace the specification into the source code
And it’s a team player:
- System Maps can be exported to MS Word or as image
- Freemind is very tightly integrated since it’s a great decomposer as well
A System Map contains for actors, features, functions and integrations.
- Descriptive Software Specifications (using Actors, Features, Functions, Integrations)
- Microsoft Word Integration
- Cool WYSIWYG Editor
- Cool Image Viewer (for Wireframes)
- Status Tracking
- Freemind Integration
- Excel Integration
This works very well for my small private projects, just 10 minutes and you have at least a basic spec. Just a clear description of what the system is supposed to do. Also I use it as a backbone of a large application consisting of round about 20 sub specifications.