Please participate in the SURVEY on rgedit's future:
your answers are much appreciated!
Gedit (Gnome editor, www.gedit.org) plug-in allowing it to become an easy-to-use and yet light-weight IDE for the statistical programming environment, R (www.r-project.org).
- lightweight, just a plugin for gedit/pluma
- up to 3 independent R consoles in parallel
- up to 2 blocks of code that can be run as a unit
- works with gedit 2 (python 2), MATE's pluma (pyhton 2) and gedit 3 (pyhton 2 and 3)
- can work with remote R sessions through ssh
- it is an IDE not only for R but can also be used with Octave and Python
Having multiple attached prompts is great. I have one with SSH to Amazon EC2 running R. You can send lines from the editor to the active prompt and that doesn't have to be R. I might be editing a shell script one second and sending it line by line to bash, then R the next in another session, or Python in another. I like the flexibility. I like how these sessions aren't bound tightly to the editor; e.g. you can do q() at the R prompt and it doesn't quit all of the IDE as well. Critical for me is that the keyboard shortcuts can be changed. To send the current line to the prompt I change <Ctrl><Shift>R to just F5. I use the latest version (rgedit-0.8.0.2-Gtk3-Python3.tar.bz2) with gedit v3.8.3. This needs python3 and gir1.2-gtksource-3.0.
thanks for the bug fix for toggling between windows, really appreciate it!
Thanks for Rgedit, it's perfect!