QBlade is a Blade Element Momentum Method (BEM) and Double Multiple Streamtube (DMS) Design and Simulation Software for Vertical- and Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines. It also includes tools to setup and simulate the internal blade structure and perform an aeroelastic analysis of a wind turbine rotor in turbulent inflow conditions through a coupling with FAST from NREL
A short video showing the different modules and a preview of the new version currently in development can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9laLMswJrw
- NEW VERSION v0.8 - STRUCTURAL BLADE MODEL & AEROELASTIC SIMULATION
- Airfoil design and simulation using XFOIL viscous/inviscid analysis
- Extrapolation of XFOIL generated or imported polar data to 360° AoA
- Wind turbine blade design and optimization for horizontal and vertical axis rotors
- Storing of projects, rotors, turbines and simulations in a runtime database
- Computation of rotor and turbine performance over tip speed ratio or windspeed range
- Definition of a blade structural model & modal analysis computation
- Generator for turbulent windfields
- Fully coupled with FAST structural simulator from NREL
- Data browsing and visualization
- Export functionality for blades, polars and all other simulation data
This software has been extremely helpful to my senior design team. We are building a small wind turbine to compete in a Department of Energy sponsored competition. Q-Blade made it easy to iterate on design and see how changing the parameters affected the coefficient of performance and other performance characteristics. There have been some bugs to deal with, but the software is in beta state and most of them have been something you can work around.
A great analysis software that is still giving great assistance to wind turbine researchers. Keep up the good work!
Great GUI for a open source project, haven't seen any bugs yet. Everything from foil analysis to AEP, terrific! Of course it's still beta so there are inconveniences. Great work!