Check out our new website where we will host all future updates and improvements. The Sourceforge site will no longer be maintained and updated.
Project Chronos is an open source time lapse rail. It is a fully features system that offers the same level of control as professional systems costing thousands of dollars. It is also the most accurate time lapse system available capable of making accurate movements 1/125th the width of a human hair. And the best news, is this is 100% open source with all schematics, parts lists, and instructions online and free to use. Feel free to contact us at email@example.com with any questions.
For more information check the home screen and the wiki on this project page, also be sure to check out my Vimeo channel to see the system in actions as well as any news updates.
Like us on Facebook!
- Simple to use interface using the Chronos 2.0 software package makes setup extremely fast and intuitive, even when programming complex movement patterns.
- No dealing with "Inches per minute" and Interval count to determine the number of shots. Rather you just tell Chronos 2.0 how many shots to take and how far to move.
- 36 inches of precision linear travel
- Easy to understand movement patterns ensure predictability.
- 255 levels of LED brightness control.
- Manual position control
- Shot Delay of 0-1000 shots
- Intervalometer 1 second to 1 hour intervals
- Bulb Exposure control 1 second to 1 minute.
- After shot buffer of .1 to .9 seconds
- Number of shots per routine = 30 to 9,999
- Metric to Standard conversion
- HDR trigger to gather 3 frames per interval.
- Shutter signal Pass-through or Block
- Camera Nudge to wake up a camera right before it shoots.
- Distance moved per routine 1-36 inches or 1-91 Centimeters (for a 39 inch (1000mm) rail.
- Symmetrical Velocity ramping 5% - 50% (1% increments)
- Asymmetrical Velocity ramping 5-95% (1 % increments)
- Non ramped movements
- Repeat routine 0-9 times from end
- Repeat routine 0-9 times from beginning
- Run routine then rewind to beginning and wait
- Repeat movement pattern in reverse with symmetrical ramping adjustment
- Repeat movement pattenr in reverse with asymmetrical ramping adjustment
- WSM Shooting display shows Shots taken, Shots remaining, Time elapsed, Time remaining.
- Continuous movement modes, 10 speeds, time weighted by distance selected.
- Master control mode where Chronos provides the timing signal.
- Slave sync mode to enable Chronos to sync to external timers, intervalomters, bulb rampers, or other systems.
- 66 Movement profiles with adjustable delays, shots, buffers, bulb timers, distance to build a virtually endless amount of movement routines.
- Step counting to provide perfect repeatability
- High Strength, capable of lifting a 25lb payload vertically or horizontally, with no need for calibration
- Virtually no setup time, no clips, belts, carts, or motors to attach on site.
- Low maintenance, the Igus rail requires no lubrication and works in extreme enviornments.
- Lightweight at 12lbs for the Rail and control box. (not including tripods or dolly feet)
- Easily syncs up to any system that is capable of triggering a camera via shutter cable, this includes bulb rampers, cameras with built in intervalometers, and other time lapse motion control systems.
- Live Ramp mode enables direct real time control of movement ramping.
- Drift mode give the camera a natural sway.
- Calibration Mode now makes it easier to enable Chronos 2.0 controller to work with other stepper motors.
Nice work ! Great project.
Chris is a true open-source guy. He's very passionate about the project and was excited to talk to me directly and help me get started with the project. I am making my own rig with Chris mentoring me so that I can help him build out the documentation. He's done a great job of getting me as excited as he is.
I received Chris's serial number 0001 Chronos system about three months ago and can I just say, that this is the most user friendly motion time lapse rig you could ever own. The controlling interface that is supplied is very straight forward. You simply ask it what to do and "Set and forget"! The rig is durable, light and easy to transport. I asked for a longer version slider than advised at 1.4 meters and get fantastic shots. It talks seamlessly to third party devices like 'little bramper' and allows you to concentrate on the more important parts of time lapse like bramping and not have to worry about motion. The shutter closes post exposure, it sends a signal to Chronos and then Chronos moves according to the distant parameters that you have set prior to starting. It is such an easy device to use and I couldn't recommend it more highly. For those worried about freight, I bought the slider and carriage locally in Australia and Chris sent the rest pre fabricated. All I did was follow his instructions and twenty minutes later was in action. This is a very exciting system and after researching many other similar rigs, Chronos is by far the most affordable and easy to use system on the market. Do your self a favour and stop searching anymore, for you have now found what you are looking for. 10 out of 10. Time lapsing enthusiast. CK