POV-Ray (the Persistence of Vision Raytracer) is a high-quality tool for creating stunning 3-D graphics. It supports a number of geometric primitives and constructive solid geometry; several kinds of light sources; atmospheric effects such as fog, smoke, and clouds; and reflections, refractions, and surface patterns. You can also find a large number of third-party tools, textures, models, scenes, and tutorials on the Web.
- Easy to use scene description language.
- Large library of stunning example scene files.
- Standard include files that predefine many shapes, colors, and textures.
- Very high quality output image files (up to 48 bit color).
- 16 and 24 bit color display on many computer platforms using appropriate hardware.
- Create landscapes using smoothed height fields.
- Many camera types, including perspective, orthographic, fisheye, and more.
- Spotlights, cylindrical lights, and area lights for sophisticated lighting.
- Photons for realistic, reflected, and refracted caustics. Photons also interact with media.
- Phong and specular highlighting for more realistic looking surfaces.
- Atmospheric effects like atmosphere, ground fog, and rainbows.
- Particle media to model effects like clouds, dust, fire, and steam.
- Several image file output formats including Targa, BMP (Windows only), PNG, and PPM.
- Basic shape primitives such as spheres, boxes, quadrics, cylinders, cones, triangles, and planes.
- Advanced shape primitives such as tori (donuts), bezier patches, height fields, blobs, quartics, smooth triangles, text, superquadrics, surfaces of revolution, prisms, polygons, lathes, fractals, isosurfaces, and the parametric object.
- Display preview of image while rendering (not available on all platforms).
- Halt and save a render part way through, and continue rendering the halted partial render later.
Be the first to post a review of POV-Ray!