An enterprise class database, PostgreSQL boasts sophisticated features such as Multi-Version Concurrency Control (MVCC), point in time recovery, tablespaces, asynchronous replication, nested transactions (savepoints), online/hot backups, a sophisticated query planner/optimizer, and write ahead logging for fault tolerance. It supports international character sets, multibyte character encodings, Unicode, and it is locale-aware for sorting, case-sensitivity, and formatting. It is highly scalable both in the sheer quantity of data it can manage and in the number of concurrent users it can accommodate. There are active PostgreSQL systems in production environments that manage in excess of 4 terabytes of data.
- Fully ACID compliant.
- Full support for foreign keys, joins, views, triggers, and stored procedures.
- Includes most SQL:2008 data types, including INTEGER, NUMBERIC, BOOLEAN, CHAR, VARCHAR, DATE, INTERVAL, AND TIMESTAMP.
- Supports storage of binary large objects, including pictures, sounds, or video.
- Has native interfaces for C/C++, Java, .Net, Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl, ODBC, and more.
- Multi-Version Concurrency Control.
- Point in time recovery.
- Asynchronous replication.
- Write ahead logging for fault tolerance.
- International character sets, multibyte character encodings, Unicode, and is locale-aware for sorting, case-sensitivity, and formatting.
Very easy to use postgresql.mirror