The goal of the OSM2PostGIS project is to develop an OpenStreetMap data processor that can import any amount of .osm XML data into a PostGIS database, and produce evaluated navigation network topologies to support routing.
- Read any number of .osm files of any size (up to the full planet.osm).
- Produce PostGIS geometry for any map features on configurable layers.
- Produce routing topology for multiple navigation networks.
- TBD: Apply the traffic rules and defaults of various administrative regions.
- Insert new or update and merge with existing data.
- Import all relevant data (where 'relevant' is configurable.)
- Restore an interrupted import process.
- Detect and report OSM data anomalies on a separate layer.
Compared to what I've seen with other routable Open Street Map data importers, Osm2PostGis is on the right track. I like the way the author has been able to minimize outside dependencies (3rd party code) for a powerful yet clean app that is memory friendly. The java compiles and runs quite well at this stage and the code is readily understandable.
Great software, thanks osm2postgis