Open source cross-platform (Windows/Linux) Java Visual Traceroute. Route is displayed in a 3D map component.
What is a traceroute ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute
1) Install java >= 1.6 (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html)
2) (For Windows OS) Install Winpcap (http://www.winpcap.org/install/default.htm). At the end of the installation, check the "Automatically start the WinPcap driver at boot time".
3) Download OpenVisualTraceRoute and extract the zip with 7zip of your favorite Zip software.
Go into the OpenVisualTraceRoute folder.
- Windows : double click on startWindows.bat
- Linux : set executable permission for startLinux.sh and run it (will require sudo privileges)
> chmod +x startLinux.sh
- 3D Map visualisation
- World Wind Java
- Copy paste of the route to Clipboard
- Gantt view
Easy to use and fun to see how you're able to connect to the other side of the world in less than a second. It works fine with Ubuntu 12.04, though it gives an error if you're using vpn. Hope it will be fixed in the near future.
Easy to install and use.
Great program! I couldn't find any free or commercial apps that work nearly as well and are as visually interesting.
I would love this, but I cannot get it to work on Windows 7 32-bit. Have WinPCap installed and no success.